the banks John Dillinger robbed?

Can anyone give me a list of banks and what city/state they were located in. I'm mostly interested in what bank in Michigan he robbed, because my father told me he robbed one in Michigan, but I can't find which one it was.Thanks!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Maddog
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

National Bank, New Carlile, Ohio, June 10, 1933 ($10,600 taken);

Commercial Bank, Daleville, Indiana, July 17, 1933 ($3,500 to $6,000, by varying accounts);

Rockville National Bank, Rockville, Indiana (attempted), July 19, 1933;

First National Bank, Montpelier, Indiana, August 4, 1933 ($10,110);

Peoples Bank, Gravel Switch, Kentucky, August 8, 1933 ($1,200);

Citizens National Bank, Bluffton, Ohio, August 14, 1933 ($2,100 to $6,000, by varying accounts);

Massachusetts Avenue State Bank, Indianapolis, Indiana ($24,800), September 6, 1933;

Central National Bank, Greencastle, Indiana, October 23, 1933 ($74,782 in cash and bonds by most accounts but reported in some newspapers as $144,000; Dillinger claimed to have gotten only $32,000 there);

American Bank & Trust Co., Racine, Wisconsin, November 20, 1933 ($27,789 taken and a policeman wounded);

First National Bank, East Chicago, Indiana, January 15, 1934 ($20,376 taken and Patrolman William O'Malley killed, allegedly by Dillinger personally);

Security National Bank, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, March 6, 1934 ($49,500 taken and policeman wounded, allegedly by "Baby Face" Nelson);

First National Bank, Mason City, Iowa, March 13, 1934 ($52,344 taken and citizen wounded);

First National Bank, Fostoria, Ohio, May 4, 1934 ($17,000 taken and five people wounded);

Merchants National Bank, South Bend, Indiana, June 30, 1934 ($29,890 taken and Patrolman Howard Wagner killed, allegedly by Homer Van Meter.

None of Dillinger's known robberies took place in Michigan although he was suspected of several, including the August 18, 1933 robbery of the Peoples Savings Bank in Grand Haven, Michigan, actually committed by a gang including his future partner, "Baby Face" Nelson. John "Red" Hamilton, another later associate of Dillinger, robbed a branch of the Kent State Savings Bank in Grand Rapids on January 3, 1927.

Also, although they often hid out there, the Dillinger Gang is not known to have robbed any banks in Chicago. Newspaper accounts attributed the December 13, 1933 robbery of safety-deposit boxes at Chicago's Unity Trust & Savings Bank to Dillinger but this was doubted by police at the time and by most historians since.

Also, correcting the other poster, the Biograph Theatre on North Lincoln Avenue no longer shows movies. It closed a couple of years ago, was bought by the Victory Gardens chain, and now shows only live theater. Members of the John Dillinger Died For You Society gather outside the Biograph each year on the July 22nd anniversary of Dillinger's death.

Source(s): Am a longtime crime historian who has done considerable research on Dillinger. But see also: The Complete Public Enemy Almanac by William J. Helmer and Rick Mattix; Dillinger: The Untold Story by G. Russell Girardin and William J. Helmer; Dillinger: A Short and Violent Life by Robert Cromie and Joe Pinkston; Public Enemies by Bryan Burrough.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

did Dillinger robbe the farmer state bank in Hudson, In

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ayaQr

Dillinger robbed at least two dozen banks and four police stationsrobbed at least two dozen banks and four police stations. National Bank, New Carlile, Ohio, June 10, 1933 ($10,600 taken) Commercial Bank, Daleville, Indiana, July 17, 1933 ($3,500 to $6,000, by varying accounts) Rockville National Bank, Rockville, Indiana (attempted), July 19, 1933 First National Bank, Montpelier, Indiana, August 4, 1933 ($10,110) Peoples Bank, Gravel Switch, Kentucky, August 8, 1933 ($1,200) Citizens National Bank, Bluffton, Ohio, August 14, 1933 ($2,100 to $6,000, by varying accounts) Massachusetts Avenue State Bank, Indianapolis, Indiana ($24,800), September 6, 1933 Central National Bank, Greencastle, Indiana, October 23, 1933 ($74,782 in cash and bonds by most accounts but reported in some newspapers as $144,000; Dillinger claimed to have gotten only $32,000 there) American Bank & Trust Co., Racine, Wisconsin, November 20, 1933 ($27,789 taken and a policeman wounded) First National Bank, East Chicago, Indiana, January 15, 1934 ($20,376 taken and Patrolman William O'Malley killed, allegedly by Dillinger personally) Security National Bank, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, March 6, 1934 ($49,500 taken and policeman wounded, allegedly by "Baby Face" Nelson) First National Bank, Mason City, Iowa, March 13, 1934 ($52,344 taken and citizen wounded) First National Bank, Fostoria, Ohio, May 4, 1934 ($17,000 taken and five people wounded) Merchants National Bank, South Bend, Indiana, June 30, 1934 ($29,890 taken and Patrolman Howard Wagner killed, allegedly by Homer Van Meter. None of Dillinger's known robberies took place in Michigan although he was suspected of several, including the August 18, 1933 robbery of the Peoples Savings Bank in Grand Haven, Michigan, actually committed by a gang including his future partner, "Baby Face" Nelson. John "Red" Hamilton, another later associate of Dillinger, robbed a branch of the Kent State Savings Bank in Grand Rapids on January 3, 1927.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know of the bank you are referring to, but most of the banks Dillinger robbed were in he midwest, many in Chicago. I was raised in Chicago and 3 out of 4 of my Grandparents were born and raised in Chicago. My grandmother used to tell me stories of that era and to my shock, many Chicagoans for whatever their reason saw them as hero's and rooted for them. She remembers gangsters driving through neighborhoods and street shootings at other rival groups as just part of being everyday life. She said you knew something was about to happen because of the cars they drove which became their trade mark and you just got out of the way. She and her sister, my Great Aunt would sneak out of their house as young women before they were married and would go to the speakeasies, with their flapper skirts and thought that era was fun and exciting.

John Dillinger was killed by the FBI after coming out of the Biograph movie theater, which is still standing and a great part of Chicago history. Ironically, they run the Rocky Horror Picture Show every Saturday night at midnight and have been doing so since I was a young man, for at least 30+ years.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.