Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionOther - Television · 1 decade ago

why scifi change name to syfy?

why did the tv channel scifi change to name to syfy

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To get Away from the Geeky image of sci fiction

"The name Sci Fi has been associated with geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that, as opposed to the general public and the female audience in particular,” said TV historian Tim Brooks, who helped launch Sci Fi Channel when he worked at USA Network.

Mr. Brooks said that when people who say they don’t like science fiction enjoy a film like “Star Wars,” they don’t think it’s science fiction; they think it’s a good movie.

“We spent a lot of time in the ’90s trying to distance the network from science fiction, which is largely why it’s called Sci Fi,” Mr. Brooks said. “It’s somewhat cooler and better than the name ‘Science Fiction.’ But even the name Sci Fi is limiting.”

Mr. Howe said going to Syfy will make a difference.

“It gives us a unique word and it gives us the opportunities to imbue it with the values and the perception that we want it to have,” he said.

• ChadD
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

On March 16, 2009, Sci Fi announced that it would be changing its name to Syfy, to end confusion over how to capitalize and stylize their name and as part of an on-going rebranding effort. Network officials also noted that, unlike the generic term "sci fi" which represents the entire science fiction genre, the term "Syfy" can be protected by trademark and therefore would be easier to market on other goods or services without fear of confusion with other companies' products. The only significant previous use of the term "Syfy" in relation to science fiction was by the website Syfy Portal, which became Airlock Alpha after selling the brand to NBC Universal (represented by a shell company) in February. Reaction to the new name has been largely negative.The new name took effect on July 7, 2009.

Source(s): Wikipedia.org
  • Amirah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I agree. SF or sci-fi has been around for many years, and worked just fine. I see no reason to change it. I gave up on TV in November 2007, and went back to reading full time for my entertainment. The only thing I use TV for now is to play old movies on video or DVD.

• 1 decade ago

It's stupid, they are dumbing it down to Text-speak, and as an online article has stated - to get away from it's geeky image. So, basically it's an insult to all of its core viewers and an open joke to be called the Syphillis Channel.

SYFYllis causes blindness and madness, you'll die screaming when you watch.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.