Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

Is going to college out-of-state a good place to make new friendships?

At this point in my life, I've lost most of my closest relationships, and for the first time I feel completely alone. I have my best friend, and other close friends, but it's just not the same.

I have the choice to go out of state for college in the fall to California (Azusa Pacific University - which is a really small, close-knit school), OR to stay here and go to my local state university (which is mostly a commuter school). Would going out of state for college be a good way for me to start over and make new friends a build new relationships?

Or should I stay here and pick up the pieces of whatever social life I have left and try to put it back together? I hate the idea of leaving without fixing things. I don't want to come home every break to nobody!

I really don't know what to do. Any advice? Can you still make new best friends even if you're an out of state student?

Favorite Answer

I lost most of my close relationships too and I decided to go out of state. I lived in Texas but moved to Indiana for college and it was the best decision of my life. I made so many close friends that I know I'll have forever...plus it actually is a bonus being from some place that most people at the school aren't. People will find you interesting and you will stand out in a good way. Go for it!

Going to College in Any State, is Place to Make Friends, it Depends on Your Personality, and How Good you are at Mixing With New Folks!...Go for It!

Source(s): New Horizons,...Can't be Bad!

I'd say go to Azusa, just because I visited it once and I think it looks like a good school. I'd say you should make your college choices based on the college, not the people going there.