Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Do American people say the word 'heaps'?

as in, 'that was heaps good'... or 'i like it heaps'.

Favorite Answer

It isn't in use much anymore.

• ?

No, it would sound extremely awkward/old-fashioned if an American said that.

The only way it's used in standard American English is the literal meaning, like when something is in an actual heap.

Heap usually means pile or piles. Like a heap of hay.

• ?

I don't really use that word much. Depends on the situation.

Like .. "that was heaps of fun" "heaps of hay"

lol kinda lame examples but that's how I used it.

• Belie

No.

Heaps, in America, generally only refer to a heaping plate of food.

I have read that phrase: "that was heaps of fun"..etc. in really old books (50+ yrs)...

.Modern use: NO...nobody uses it; at least that I have heard.

People generally use it as a synonym (word that has a similar meaning) for pile. the general use is as follows - Example: "I have a heap of dirt in my yard", "avoid hitting that heap of junk", "my neighbor is never going to clean that heap of junk out of his yard".