Should I learn the guitar or piano?

I would really love to learn both. Actually, I already once did have lessons for the piano but then stopped. That was years ago. A friend of my dad's taught me guitar for hours in just 2 days. I learned "Smoke In The Water" by ear on the acoustic guitar with no help. And I learned "Heart & Soul" on the piano by ear, it's a weird story because I wasn't even looking at the piano and I just hit 5 keys and I got it :P Music is practically my life. It's a hard decision. What would you choose? Thanks! PS: I'll try to answer your question if you include the link :)

Favorite Answer

If you want to go into teaching music, I would choose Piano. Personally, I would choose Guitar. Their is so many different chords and riffs you can learn. You will never get bored. You can travel anywhere with an acoustic guitar. An electric guitar requires an amp. But basically a piano is harder to travel with. Another pro is that it is easier to duet with another person. I think that's really good you can learn songs by ear, that will help you a lot. Just make sure whatever instrument you choose, learn the fundamentals first.

• Sela

I would start by accomplishing the guitar first. It's easier to transition from guitar lessons to piano. Many people think the opposite. But I studied piano first as a child and played until I was a teenager, then when I wanted to learn guitar I had a really hard time going from piano positions to strings. I did study violin and viola, it's fun using a bow on a guitar, or a harmonica as a slide on the guitar. Spice it up and have fun.

Well its all in what you find more interesting, Id say take a few classes on both and then go with which ever one you find your passionate about. The guitar is definitely easier to play though. But again you would just have to see which you find your more passionate about. I play the guitar, but I have though about learning to play the piano as well. If you really love music then I would suggest learning both if not more than those two instruments.

Piano-You can play almost all instrument you know. But piano is harder to travel with. Guitar-girls will probably like this. But you have to tune it almost every week or more. Its really your desition. Me i have guitar now, i cant tune my guitar even thought i have tuner. and the strings pops. I thought that piano is easy. Caz you just plug it in and play. I might try piano and sell my guitar. Or not. lol. so there are some stuff or clues lol. good luck!

Both sound beautiful, but if you are looking for something easier to learn I would choose piano. I'm learning to play guitar right now and it is really fun but it can be super frustrating so you really need to take your time and spend some time away from it too.

If i were you i would take piano lessons because i think with a piano someone may need more instruction to learn, but with a guitar you can pretty much just print out tabs, use books, and teach yourself! And that way you can continue learning both!

p.s thanks for answering my question, mine was the one about katy perry

:)

just do both. like when you learn a song on guitar, learn it on the piano as well. i would favor guitar tho, because you can play guitar anywhere, and most popular songs these days are on guitar. so.. do both. its possible. if you can play both then you will really understand music better

Piano. If you learn that instrument first you'll pretty much be able to master the guitar and any other ones.

Personally I would choose a guitar. But that may be because I am an uncultured mindless product of today's world.

Source(s): My awesome self!

guitar because its portable and cheaper and you can learn it easier

guitar will also get you a lot of dates if ur good lol