Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why do many hate skinny people?

Why is it a hazard to call someone overweight "fat" while it's totally fine to call someone underweight "skinny"? You might think that fat people are victims of insults, but it's actually the skinny people these days..

Look I know 3/4 Americans are overweight....so I'm expecting about 3/4th answers to be pro-fat....so keep those hater comments coming.

Favorite Answer

I don't know but some ppl here called me skinny number of times.

Skinny is usually seen as a complement, or generally thought to be a complement. I've never heard anyone use "fat" as a complement.

I think that it would be more of an insult to call a skinny person "a stick" or "toothpick" rather than "skinny" but that is just me.

...many people are ashamed to be fat, but many people can't help that they are fat or overweight because of their metabolism, some people are just naturally a little chubby.. just like some people are naturally skinny.

why is this in the politics section?

Source(s): Pro-every-shape-and-size

Most people who are unnaturally thin, just like most people who are unnaturally fat, have some sort of other problem that they need to deal with. The fatness or thinness is an outward sign of their coping mechanism.

People come in all shapes and sizes. Just like they come in all colors and different genders. We all have an individual set of challenges to deal with throughout life, and everyone you speak with is dealing with something, you probably just don't know what it is. Denying someone a basic courtesy because they're fat or thin is ignorant.

• Daniel

When I was skinny, a marathon runner and in the military I used to be teased as being weak and skinny, it hurt. Now I am sick after war, gained 100 pounds and can hardly walk and people say I am fat, so I guess everyone just likes to criticize.

I am 5'11 and 165 Lbs,25 yrs of age and its strange sometime when some fat person taunts me for being skinny

to be honest i never feel insulted. Its just shows how insecure and jealous some obese people are

Most people love to be called skinny.

I don't see the 'hate' toward thin people.

You're right the only people who like being called skinny are celebs -- come to think of it they are the only people who are skinny. LOL

• ogles

i do no longer hate them, i basically can't positioned on them through fact i'm no longer formed precise...yet i do no longer overly like them besides, through fact i do in comparison to pants that are tight all the way all the way down to my ankles. so human beings can rather pull them off although :)

it happens... I've not seen it to the same degree as people mocking fat people...

but I've seen it happen...

and if Kiera Knightly is out there... if someone's mocking you for being skinny... come her, I'll be a shoulder you can cry on...

You have something wrong with you don't you? Perhaps you are just lacking in mental faculties. Skinny is worshiped on every magazine, tv show, movie, news broadcast, etc. Skinny is equated to healthy and is used to sell every product on earth. Skinny is equated to sexy, and sex sells. Perhaps you are just a little tired tonight.