Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

What could be wrong with my gokart? (motorbike engine)?

My gokart will not start after not being run for about a year. I built it using the engine/electrics from a 1992 Yamaha FZR 250 motorbike. It has worked very well but built up dust during a period of being busy with everything else. After stripping it down I have discovered there is no spark at the spark plugs, everything else seems to be working fine. My intuition seems to suggest there is a damaged component that is leading to a short circuit somewhere - the power to the ignition coils drops to 6v when the starter motor is turned on, though I am not sure if this is normal. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

So you stripped it down ,what were you looking for.Your Intuition should lead you to a battery that has been unused for a year and in all probability it will be sulphated.

• ogles

hi I presume you propose you have offered an entire a hundred and eighty cc Engine, grasp and GearBox. Your concern starts with the adaptation in length and weight, (Mounts might choose to be uprated) The physique (might choose to be uprated). The Brakes (might choose to be uprated). The Chain (might choose to be uprated). Suspension (might choose to be uprated) ARE YOU GETTING THE MESSAGE ? The Moped replaced into designed to be as gentle as possible to get the main out of it rather is optimal legal 50 cc and replaced into designed to no longer exceed 50 KPH (31 MPH). a team A1 gentle Motor motorbike has a optimal a hundred twenty five cc and 14.6 BHP. And the motorbike is designed to shelter the better skill, maximum will hit sixty 5-70 MPH that's greater effective than two times the value. And this does not even meet those regulations so it could be classed as a Medium Weight Motor motorbike. and meaning Re-registering with new engine and sophistication of motor vehicle, re taxing it to MWMB, re Insuring it as a MWMB individually shop the Ped and get a 50 cc alternative engine or a a hundred and eighty cc one that demands the engine you have. Gilera did no longer spend a great style of money designing this. there's a reason the Ped has a 50 cc engine and the different a a hundred and eighty cc one. Andy C

Like Zimmer said, the battery.