Is this an allergy? And if it is, what could it be?

Over the last two years I have noticed whenever I eat fruit my ears and throat itch really bad. I feel like I have to clear my throat a lot as if there were something in the way. The problem is, I can't determine a fruit since it happens no matter the type (apples, pears, watermelon..) I also tried washing the fruit first before eating it (with soap and without) as well as not eating any of the skin. I just can't figure out what it might be. It hasn't gotten to the point where my breathing has been impaired, its just a horrible annoyance and keeps me from eating my beloved fruit.

Are there any suggestions or ideas as to what this could be? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Please only leave HELPFUL and THOUGHTFUL comments. I would appreciate websites with factual information. No one liners please, "It's an allergy" doesn't help me. Thank you so so much for your time and assistance!

Favorite Answer

I think you have an allergy to some fruit. I work as a lab technician in the allergy department in N.Y. We use to make extract of all kind of fruits, different kind of dust and others. You should go to an allergist where they inject different sample and if you skin pop up that's what you are allergy to. They tested me and I'm was allergy to dust. Believe me there is no joke about, some people can be eating any kind of fruit or food and suddenly they become allergy to. Some people get a swallen face as soon as they smell the fruit, true experience. When is start impairing your breathing that's bad news. The allergist doctor would try to give a shot starting with the small dosis in order to make you inmune. It's a good idea to have a test of every fruit, that's is the only way they will found out. Try to eat a little bit of the fruit at the time, but only one kind, don't mix them, next day change to another fruit and do the samething the nex day. I hope I help you because I have problem with the strawberry. It bother my stomach and my head start itching. I worked at Roosevelt Hospital in N.Y.

"It's an allergy" lol

BUT, it used to be the same for me. And not to a great severity, but I must say- VERY annoying. I loved fruit too much to give it up so I kept eating it and my "allergicness' to fruit went away and I now have no problems with the subject. =D

Now me and my fruit are as happy as can be.

Maybe you can get some allergy meds. Talk to your doctor?

Later gater, and goodluck to you. ;]

It's possiable....strange but possiable.