Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

d0r3m0n asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

My guppies disappeared without a trace?

I just came back from a 1 week trip out of state. Before I left, I bought 4 neon tetra, and 4 guppies, along with 1 goldfish that is not quiet big that I've had for awhile before that. I've set up a new aquarium for them all, and they all seemed pretty well adapted to the environment before I left. Then I left for exactly 1 week and 1 day, so you can say all the fishes was starving or went without food for that long of a time. But for some reason, when I came back, I only saw my 4 neon tetras, the 1 (fantail) goldfish, but ONLY 1 guppy left. I have no idea where the other 3 guppies dissapeared too. I didn't see any dead or floating fish, plus my aquarium is pretty much covered with the lid so I dont think the fish can jump anywhere. Would the goldfish probably gobbled it up? It's body seemed pretty normal.. It's 3 guppies, it wouldn't be able to be eaten by the goldfish within 1 week without the goldfish showing any signs? Anyone have any idea? Please help because I'm still very confused lol..

• Tink
    Favorite Answer

With a brand new set up, your fish most likely died because the tank wasn't cycled. Then the other fish neons and goldfish alike probably ate the dead fish.

It's not a very good idea to keep goldfish with freshwater tropicals in that they require different living environments, diet, and care. I would recommend you getting a separate setup for your goldfish. As it gets bigger, it will eat anything that it can catch and fit into it's mouth.

Your fish would have been fine for a week and a day if the tank had been cycled. It is not uncommon for aquarium fish to nibble on the dead bodies of others.

--------------------------

To prevent further fish from dying, I would recommend you purchase a water testing kit and make sure your tank cycle's properly.

www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

--------------------------

If your tank was already cycled, then the guppies probably died from the nitrate levels in the tank due to the high amounts of waste produced by the goldfish.

i have a friend that had a beta. they left it for about a week, and when they came back, it was pretty dead. they cleaned out the bowl and when the beta (who was floating on top) hit the gravel on the bottom, it disintegrated/vaporized/disappeared(!!!!!!!) i guess it was rotting but wasn't moved, so it stayed in the beta shape, but when it hit something, it fell apart! weird...

My guess is the gold fish ate them. Thats all I cant think of

I mean you didn't feed those poor fish.. they might have had to go to drastic measures to not die.

its pretty obvious that since you didn't feed them they ate each other.

Source(s): 4 fish tanks at home