Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 1 decade ago

Poll: When someone makes fun of someone with a handicap...?

what if that person was your child? how would you react and what would you do?

what if that person was not a part of your family? would you feel comfortable confronting the person making fun of the disabled person? what would you do?

Update:

i am a young single mother of a 4 year old son withf Downs Syndrome. I asked this question to gain perspective on if the majority of people would stand up for someone with disabilities or a handicap. I enjoyed reading everyones answers! I have no problem myself confronting anyone who makes fun of my son. One time in walmart there was an older mom with like 4-5 kids and one of them stopped and pointed at my kid and yelled and pointed at my son, "MOM, what is wrong with that kid?? He looks like he's RETARDED!!" the kid looked like he was about 6 years old. what pissed me off though was when she said to her kid, "O god honey, lets go now before whatever he has spreads to you!" i was shocked and felt like my heart had just been stabbed. i couldn't believe she said that. so i left the store and waited in the parking lot. i saw her come out and walked up to her and said, "Now that we are face to face..i dare you to say it again." she didn't =]

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Being disabled this is easy for me. I simply go up and ask them if they have questions I would appreciate them asking instead of making remarks. Usually this embarrasses them to much. I kill them with kindness. NOW a child, I would go off on someone for being so classless.

• 1 decade ago

i am only 15 so i would not know about the child thing but my friends sometimes make fun the the special people in my school. and when i am with them it makes me feel like crap being there. my brother has add and my mom told me she used to get really mad when people would make jokes and treat people with add. she said it just tore here heart. if i did have a child though i would probly confront the person that was talking about my child and tell them how it is if you know what i mean. that mite be because i am a little punky kid. hope that helps!

• 1 decade ago

i'd be pissed and i'd confront them about it..i dont have a very good temper so i'd probably start screaming and punch them in the face. i had a friend when i was in 2nd grade who was handicap and people used to make fun of her. i was only in the 2nd grade so of course i didn't say anything but now i feel terrible and i wish i would have done something more for her.

• 1 decade ago

My sister was mentally and physically disabled. She was my friend. At school she had guys who would play with her. Not physically. Just mess around. It made her happy. She died in 2001. I miss her so much. I wrote a poem. If you want to read it. it's at www. I can't remember. can I get back to you? It's a very touchy and sweet ode to her! mEa LLen 2063@ Hoymail.com

Source(s): r
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i have actual experience with this (my brother is autistic) matter not if they are a part of your family, its wrong!!!! i have confronted people, not only over my brother, but others as well. just stand up to them and tell them what you think, don't let others influence you and if they make fun of you, so what

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Seeing as I grew up with one.Id punch that person in the mouth.And make of he/she. The only reason anyone picks on a handicap is because they think it makes them look tough,Or power full.When it is not the case It makes them look lowlife pieces of sh it.

• 1 decade ago

I personally help my neighbor who has/had polio and is restrained to a wheelchair.

Regardless of family, I'd ask them how they'd feel if they had that condition and if it makes them feel good to put someone down for something they cannot control.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i know that it would be hard to confront the person but if the person was outside of my family i would beat the living **** out of him. and if he was in my familly i would kill him.. just kiddin. you should talk to the person nomatter who it is. this is wrong and needs to stop. how would you feel if you were handicap

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its ****** up no matter how you would look at it, even if it wasn't your child its someone that can't help that they have a problem so I would probably go off on whoever made fun.

• 1 decade ago

I have confronted people for this. One guy I confronted was a real jerk about it, and started calling me names. Other people started glaring at him as they walked by.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.