Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

ATWT Why is Margo lying about Adam?

Why dont they want Tom to know the truth?

• Jamie
    Favorite Answer

Well, Adam nearly raped Gwen-Will's wife-before he left town. He has done some pretty horrible things, and he is a criminal. With Margo as a police officer and Tom as a lawyer, both SHOULD incriminate him. However, Margo doesn't want to lose her son-again-and won't put him in jail. But Tom isn't as forgiving as she is and would be forced to report him.

Margo just wants to keep her son around...but I think Casey has some more plans up his sleeve. I've been loving this storyline!

Source(s): ATWT Watcher for Life.

Margo has stated two main reasons for her lies: 1.) she is afraid that Tom will be obligated to do what's right and prosecute Adam, while she wants another chance to fulfill the fantasy of having both her sons home, and 2.) she doesn't want Tom to be put in the position of being forced to choose between their family and his morals. As it stands, she is risking being suspended - possibly even fired - from the police department if it's exposed that she has been harboring a criminal. If Tom did choose to side with her, he could lose his license for practicing law. By her bearing the burden, he is exempt from any potential fallout. Plus, since she was also on the verge of tears while listening to Tom and Riley/Adam talk and then shake hands, I think there's a part of her that wants Tom to bond with Adam as he is now without the baggage of what he has done. I don't think her actions are right, but I do feel for her because I think she's between a rock and a hard place. Telling the truth means losing the son you just believed was dead, and who you haven't seen in years since he fled town. She agonized while Casey was forced to serve time. She doesn't want to go through that again. She's thinking as Adam's mother moreso than anything else.

From the writing standpoint, I imagine it has less to do with Margo and more to do with creating a rivalry between Adam and Casey for the sake of drama.

I know she's afraid that if tom finds out that riley is really adam, he will prosecute him for a crime. not sure if the crime is impersonating riley or something else. of course, even tho his mother is a cop, she does nothing because he's her little boy

A big reason is that she loves her son and do not want to see him go to jail after just learning he is still alive