Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Is it illegal to pick up a sick puppy?

Recently, I was driving down the road, and I saw a puppy on the side of the road. I know some people nearby that have the same type of puppies. They have 7 or 8 dogs. They are all underfed, no vaccinations, have intestinal and ring worms, red mange, and are running loose. The people were on vacation, and left the dogs at home without food, water, or any shelter. I took the puppy home with me. I took the puppy to the vet, and have been treating her for mange, and ringworm. I left the people my number, and they haven't called me. Someone told me that they have a warrant out for me, for their "stolen" puppy. I don't want to get in trouble, but I don't want to leave her with them, either. What should I do?

And.. another person told me I can't get in trouble, because there isn't enough proof.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

If you found it, and have vet records of what was wrong with it, then it is not illegal. It is not illegal to keep a dog that you find. If you found it, and it dosent have a microchip, then its not considered stealing.What is illegal is for an owner to have their dog out running the street with no supervison

Source(s): I work at a vets office
  • 1 decade ago

It's probably best to turn the pup in to the local animal shelter and let them deal with the matter. They won't give the pup back to the owners if they suspect neglect or abuse, and you can ask to adopt it if they confiscate it. Anyhow, there's no excuse for letting any dog run loose in public, and they were actually breaking leash laws and animal endangerment laws by doing so.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Call the ASPCA for help with the law and the sick dog. I highly doubt you'd be held liable for a dog you found and are treating, especially if you HAD NO IDEA WHOM IT BELONGED TO...

Keep things simple. Deny.

• 1 decade ago

Have as many witnesses as you can get to verify you story

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.