Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

How can I reduce my anxiety?

In public places around people I start to shake, my stomach starts to ache, I feel like passing out, and I don't feel comfortable around people. I don't like to raise my hand or talk to people around me. How do you take this away?

Favorite Answer

I suffer from anxiety, and I can certainly empathize. One suggestion would definitely be medical intervention (drugs). But, if at all possible, avoid this. That's what I've done.

First: identify. Are you experiencing panic attacks too? Look them up on wikipedia for the lists and qualifications and info about panic attacks. If you find out these ARE panic attacks (which they sound like), what I've found is that feeling the early signs of a panic attack (slight shaking, 'circle' thinking) is a great way to start. Breathe deeply when you're about to have one, try to break out of the circle thinking before it gets bad. (Circle thinking - panicking, thinking about the same thing and getting more and more panicked about it. Thinking about the future ramifications, what people are thinking right now, if people will notice you're shaking... etc.) Lately I've started counting, saying it in my head and moving my lips a bit to block out everything else.

Even if you're not having panic attacks, do that.

For me, I chose not to try for medication and try and just work on it. I don't think you will EVER be able to be in public places without feeling nervous, just as I will never be able to get in front of a group of people without shaking. Just accept it, and that there is no 'taking it away'. People just say 'don't worry so much', which to me (as to you probably) sounds ridiculous. Even when you're not actually worrying about it, you still have the physical symptoms. You can only deal with the emotional symptoms and the physical ones will improve.

Expose yourself to as much public places as possible. Tolerate the shakiness, the dizziness. Everything. Breathe deeply and try to get it under control. Don't think about the people around you, chances are they're not thinking about you. Remember that. They're probably not anywhere close to thinking about you. Find something to break the circle thinking, like a breath of fresh air. Sit on the bench and talk on the phone. Sit in a public library and study. Watch a dog being walked, and once you feel better and more confident, ask the owner if you can pet the dog. Almost ALL dog owners like to talk about their dog, or at least have other people coo over how fabulous and well-trained their dog is. Remind yourself that most of these people don't care about you, aren't thinking about you, and even if you fell flat on your face would only notice for about 2 minutes and probably not think about it again. (Unless it's at school and they know you, they it might take them an hour) The more you go to public places, the easier it will be.

Start in easy places, just run in to get an ice cream at a mall. Bring along a friend or parent for backup and an added confidence boost. Or run to Barnes and Noble and grab a book or magazine. Offer to go buy groceries (of if you can't drive, go with a parent). Then as you start feeling less physical and emotional symptoms try slightly harder things.

There is no quick fix unless you want to take drugs, and I've never done that so I can't help you there. There is only a gradual adjustment to it.

Good luck! Remember there are tons of people with this problem, you've just got to work through it.

This is a type of agoraphobia and it is not uncommon. Two things will help with this. First, when this happens, you must begin a positive "self-talk" where you reassure yourself that this is simply anxiety (nothing more) and take deep, calming, cleansing breaths. Tell yourself that this is simply your body's "fight or flight" mechanism going off and you can subdue it with calm thoughts b/c there is actually no real danger to you. The second thing to do is the preventative piece. Work on identifying the underlying thought patterns that are bringing about this anxiety so that you can prevent it happening in the future. This can be complex and may require professional help in the short term. Best of luck to you. Do not worry, many people have successfully overcome this situation!

Sounds like you have some social anxiety. I have it too. Just try doing some deep breathing when you start to feel yourself begin to tense up. And have something special and specific, that you can focus on in your mind in these situations, that will help calm you down.

I always think of a kitten that I rescued last fall.

If this is really interfering with your life, I would suggest you go to your doctor, and tell them what is going on. They can help you out, and maybe even give you some anti-anxiety medication.

Anxiety is very common. There are many techniques for managing it, including individual and group therapy, relaxation breathing, guided imagery, meditation, antianxiety medications, etc. It is important to do some research, and try some of the easy to learn methods, to see what works for you. A very simple breathing technique is to inhale slowly, then internally say "relax" to yourself as you slowly exhale. Allow your muscles to relax and feel heavy. You cannot feel anxiety and relaxed at the same time. Try it!

No matter how many people search for answers, the best advice anyone can give you is this: Only you know how to reduce your anxiety. I'm serious. Study yourself, understand yourself, be honest with yourself. Than go from there to find an answer.

my trick is to carry a small something to give your hands a thing to do. sometimes even just having a tissue will divide your attention between the crowds and what you feel with your fingers.

raising your hand and talking will just take patience and practice. maybe if you know the answer is just one word, go for it. work your way up from there.

if you can't find a way to calm yourself down, talk to someone about getting medication. Shaking is usually a bad sign and you should get it attended to.

You focus too much on the enviorment and people. When if you in class, seems like your scared of what other people think of you, try to focus more on how you feel, but focus more on YOU.

Just watch out for knives and forks and you should be ok :)

go to classes

or see a therapist