Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is this grammatically correct?

My friend and I are making a parody of Muppet Treasure Island's song "Professional Pirate" and we are stuck on a line. We think it's awkward and grammatically incorrect, but we aren't sure.

"I could have been a athlete

But I just was way too smart"

Any help?

• Silent
    Favorite Answer

No, it is not correct.

The first line should be: "I could have been an athlete". In English, the word "a" is used before a word that starts with a consonant sound, and "an" is used before a word that starts with a vowel sound. "Athlete" starts with a vowel sound.

The second line would sound much better if the words "just" and "was" were reversed, though it is technically correct as it is.

I could have been an athlete but I was just not too smart.

• ?

it sounds good but you could put a better word for smart like wise and don`t capitalize the B but.

I could have been an athlete,

But I have two left feet.

"I could have been a athlete

But I just was too effete."

Hope that helped.