Rapid Heart Pounding + Nausea?

I'm a thin, 19 year old male with Asthma, and about 2 years ago while doing quick sprints in Gym class, My heart started pounding really crazy, and I could hardly walk, and I was really nauseous. the nurse said my blood pressure was 3x the normal rate at what my age should be at, and my resting rate is twice it's normal level,

I've always suspected I've had a heart issue, but nothing that's stopped me from doing anything.

Now, fast-forward to 2 days ago. some friends and I went to a local swimming hole with large cliffs to jump off of (awesome stuff), but I've never been there. I go to jump off the cliff and I land in the water- all is fine, but as soon as I leave the water, I get the SAME symptoms as in Gym- rapid heart pounding, and really nauseous.

Now, I know it's not an anxiety attack, because I've had one when I went to give blood once, and it's only when doing something strenuous- overly strenuous- so how does jumping into the water count as strenuous.. I'm confused.

I should go to the doctor, but I have no health insurance, and in the past they've taken my blood pressure but nothing has worried them.

Any ideas on what it would be??

Favorite Answer

3x the normal rate is a meaningless comment for blood pressure. Though despite your protestations you problem could still be anxiety there is of course no way it is possible to confirm what is going on without a medical work up.

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember
  • ?

Heart Pounding Nausea

i agree, you should definitely be examined, a stress test or a heart monitor (holter) should be good tools to determine if something is wrong along with, of course, EKG and ECHO. Even when you do not have insurance there are different agencies at the Hospitals that will help you apply for benefits or make a payment plan. On many states you could qualify for Medicaid (income and resource criteria) as well as Charity Care (great program with a bad name) the latter takes in consideration your income and resources and gives you a discount and a liability, some people are exempt of paying for their Hospital bills if they fall within the guidelines. Some Hospitals also offer free clinics that have specialists on site...you could visit the nearest Emergency Room, or check the websites of the Hospitals nearby for clinics and consultations... good luck

Panic Attacks and Panic Disorder - Symptoms

The main symptom of a panic attack is an overwhelming feeling of fear or anxiety, along with physical reactions. An attack starts suddenly and usually lasts from 5 to 20 minutes but may last even longer, up to a few hours. You feel most anxious about 10 minutes into the attack. It is possible to have one panic attack after another in waves for an extended period of time, and it can seem like one continuous attack. But if you have continuous symptoms that do not go away within an hour, you probably are not having a panic attack and you should seek immediate medical care.

Symptoms of a panic attack may include:3

Rapid breathing (hyperventilation), shortness of breath, or feeling "smothered."

A pounding or racing heart or an irregular heartbeat.

Chest pain.

Lightheadedness.

Sweating.

A choking feeling.

Nausea or an upset stomach.

Dizziness, shaking, or trembling.

Numbness or tingling.

Chills or hot flashes.

Fear that you are going to die, lose control, or "go crazy."

Feelings of being detached from yourself or from reality.

Panic attacks can begin with a stressful event or appear without cause. They also can be associated with medications, such as heart medications, and medical conditions, such as an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

Panic attacks may begin without a trigger or can be linked to certain situations, such as being in large crowds of people in restaurants or stadiums. Sometimes just the anticipation of being in a certain situation can cause severe anxiety. People who experience panic attacks often learn to avoid situations that they fear will trigger a panic attack or situations where they will not be able to escape easily if an attack occurs. If this pattern of avoidance and anxiety is severe, it can become agoraphobia.

The symptoms of a panic attack can be similar to those of a heart attack. Many people seek emergency medical treatment for a panic attack for this reason. If you have chest pain and other symptoms of a heart attack, get immediate medical treatment. For more information, see the topic Chest Pain.

Panic attacks are not common in children or younger teens. But children who have panic disorder or panic attacks often have other symptoms in addition to those listed above. They may be overly afraid of common objects such as bugs, or worry excessively about monsters or about going to bed alone. They also may refuse to go to school or become unusually upset when they are separated from a parent.

Not everyone who experiences panic attacks develops panic disorder. A person is diagnosed with panic disorder if he or she has at least two unexpected panic attacks along with fear or worry about having another panic attack and avoiding situations that may trigger it.

Source(s): WEBMD.COM

It may be anxiety, but if that only helped with some of the stuff, see a cardiologist. You may be having a heart arrhythmia.

Asthma drugs can cause heart palpitations.

Consult your doctor or a Cardiologist.

it sounds like psvt, paroxsymal super ventricular tachycardia, it can be very serious if it goes untreated. i would definately recomend going to the doctor, insurance or no.

Sorry, I don't know. BUT- try WebMD.com

I hope you find out what it is.