Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What kind of dog should I get?

I will be at school and work a good part of the day and I don't want the dog to be lonely while I'm gone.

Favorite Answer

king charles cavalier spanniel. my mother in law breeds cavaliers and they are known to be very lazy and super friendly lap dogs. my in laws are at work for 8 hours everyday. cavaliers are also known to be the friendliest dogs in the world. they are great and so lovable. the cutest dogs you have ever seen too. i love them. good luck.

well if you dont have time for the dog then i suggest getting one when you get out of school.. but if you are living with family then the dag will be just fine and it wont get "lonely".

A poodle would be a great choice. maybe a miniature (10-15" at shoulder), or a standard (15+" at shoulder). A lot of people think poodles are sissy or wimpy, but they have just as much dog in them as any other dog if not more. Plus the poodle does not shed at all, so they will require grooming at least 3-4 times a year. I bought a $20.00 grooming kit at the pet store that came with an instructional video, and now I think I could be a professional groomer! Also i dont give my poodles that stereotypical prissy hair cut. But even if you take the dog to get professionally groomed it isn't too expensive. Poodles are great swimmers, in fact they where bread to swim and they have webbed feet. poodles have a very playful personality. they are funny and somewhat goofy. Also Poodles are among the smartest of all the breeds and are very easy to train. I taut my miniature to sit, lay down, roll over, go get it, stop, and get a little closer to the toy or treat without touching it in two days for about an hour each day. these dogs are super smart. they love to play with other dogs and humans alike, they love a challenge. as playful and energetic as poodles are they have a down time to where they adore and give loving attention to their owners. poodles know when it is time to play and when it is time to behave. Poodles life span is between 13-15 years and as long as the poodle is not interbreed then health problems are minimal.

Everyone is going to tell you to not get a dog because of your schedule. As long as you realize that getting the "perfect" dog is not going to just happen it is something you will have to work at with your companion, then I've said what I feel needs to be said on that matter. I do think it's funny that people think that working people shouldn't have dogs because they don't have the time. Well, how exactly are people suppose to pay for the care and upkeep of their dogs then? People just don't think things through when they say stuff like that. Also, I think that people who lead stressful lives due to work, school, what ever, in my opinion have the most to gain from owning a companion animal like a dog or a cat because of a lot of the health benefits such as reduced blood pressure and anxiety.

You are probably going to want to consider a smaller dog. They require shorter walks after a long day at the office (but still require walks just like any other dog). However, smaller dogs do have to potty more often generally so if you have the extra money maybe consider hiring a trust worthy person to come to your home while you are gone to let it outside for a bit, or doggy day care even. You are also going to want a dog that doesn't need a lot of grooming- taking a dog the the groomers is just taking away from your well deserved time off. You are also going to want to make sure that you provide your dog with some way to entertain itself while you are gone, because otherwise it will just find a way to entertain himself. A Kong stuffed with food is an idea but this would increase likely hood off it going to the bathroom in the house. With all that said, a few breeds I recommend would be:

Boston Terriers. They are small and don't require a lot of exercise. You are actually suppose to be careful not to work them too hard because they are brachiocephalic.

Greyhounds. Gives you an opportunity to rescue a purebred, adult dog in which you know what it's history is. In my experience with greyhounds (my mother has a few) they are actually quite lazy and independent. Like many sight hounds though, be careful if you have small animals like cats, they seem to like to chase and kill them. They do need longer walks though and maybe a weekly trip to the dog park so they can stretch their legs (they are quite large dogs). Relativily no grooming required. Can suffer from bloat though so try to feed them small meals (morning an night maybe) and get one of those bowls that has the block in the center. It slows down their eating.

Shih-tzus: They have hair as opposed to fur which means they do require grooming. But if you keep them trimmed short you only need to take them in every month or so to get cut. They don't require a lot of exercise and are also quite independent but can be a bear to train.

Dachshunds: Require minimal exercise and minimal grooming. You do have to check their ears often because they are floppy and can get stuff caught in them- dirt, moisture, food, etc. They're diggers.

Either way, I would recommend against getting a puppy- they do take a lot of time and a lot of work. I would get an adult dog in your situation.

I am sure I could think of more but there's a few to get your search going.

Source(s): Zoologist and years of animal ownership

An Adult dog that suits your lifestyle

No pup should be left anymore then 2hours

Adult dog max 8hours!

You are far too busy to properly train and socialise a puppy.

Answer these questions

1.What size dog would you like?

2. Energy Level?

3.Exercise Requirements?

4.Playfulness?

5.Affection Level

6. Friendliness Toward Other Pets

7. Good with kids?

8.How friendly do you want your dog to be toward other pets or animals?

9.How trainable would you like your dog to be?

10.What level of grooming do you want your dog to fall under?

11.Do you need your dog to tolerate hot or cold weather?

• ?

With your schedule, the only dog you should get is a stuffed dog. You don't have enough time to feed, groom, train and exercise a dog at this point in your life.

Any breed of dog will be lonely and might start destructive behavior if left alone too much.

I don't want to repeat what others have said,but they are alot more work than you can imagine especially if you are the only one caring for it,walks feeding grooming training.

I was in the same situation and others told me not to but i did.

i don't regret it but it was and is alot of work.

when i got my first dog i tryed putting him outside when i was at work. He would bark all day or escape so then i started keeping him in the house.When a dog is in the house by them selves,especially for log periods of time they turn into destructive monsters. ruined furniture, controllers,i pods,shoes,sneakers,tore up a whole case of toilet paper once all over the house.

Anyway to the point i found that because i wasn't home enough he was bored so i was talked into geting a second dog and it solved my problems when i wasn't at home.

So i guess i cant tell you what kind of dog to get,but you might end up with 2

To tell you the truth owning a dog is far from easy, I'm a self-employed DJ so I work when I want to.

When getting a dog it's advised to have it in a home where there is somebody home at all times so if you're house is empty more often then I wouldn't get a dog.

• Cris

a dog left alone for long periods at a time will grow up to be a destructive dog, cause his bored, cause people leave him home alone for long periods at a time

you shouldn't get a puppy, you shouldn't get any type of dog

sweetie, you need to devote ALOT of your time and effort towards a new dog, so if you're going to be at work and school most of the day, get a stuffed dog.

Boston Terrier