Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Where should I go to college?

I'm going to be a senior in high school and I want to major in marketing. I have a 4.3 GPA, a 29 on the ACT and a handful of extracurriculars. My mom wants me to stay in state (OH) because it's cheaper, but i'd love to go to a bordering state. My dream is to live in Chicago and work for a large company but in order to do that, I want to get into a school with a good business program. Here's the colleges I've been looking at so far:

Miami University (Oxford, OH)

Ohio State

DePaul University

Loyola University

Purdue University

University of Pittsburgh

University of Cincinatti

Butler University

Syracuse University

University of Toledo

Indiana University

Freed- Hardeman University

Lipscomb University

The last two are christian universities. I'd love to go to a christian school, but I'm afraid I won't get the type of job I want if I don't attend a very well known business school. If I don't attend a christian school, I definately want to be a part of a larger campus ministry. Also, I've heard that Miami University is very preppy, and I'm not sure how well I'd fit in there.

Sorry this was so long, I just don't know who to talk to about all of this.

If you have any suggestions on where else I should look, please let me know!

All of this is really stressing me out.

Favorite Answer

Depends on how you define "good." To be honest, I don't think it's going to be absolutely vital to go to a name-brand school as an undergrad.

That having been said, there are a couple schools (prestigious according U.S. News & World Report's rankings) that aren't that much farther away that you could try, most notably Michigan. (I'm using USN&WR simply because it's the one that most people look at, much to my chagrin.) If you're OK with attending your state school's rival, I do know that the business school is pretty respected and that many people get placed into well-known companies, but I assume that's the case for many business schools; business students are usually really driven.

Certainly, in-state schools are probably cheaper, but I think that with a background like yours, you'd be eligible for a pretty good financial aid package, which may or may not include scholarships. I'd probably restrict myself to a couple out-of-state schools and a bunch of in-state schools if price is a big factor for your family. Not to say that the in-state schools aren't as good; they may actually provide a better, more individualized learning experience than Penn, Pitt, OSU, Mich, etc. The big-name schools are generally research institutions, so a lot of the faculty is hired with research in mind; teaching may be a secondary concern.

That having been said, I personally feel as if you're buying too much into the prestige thing. It helps with connections, true, but getting a job is just as much about advertising yourself as it is your social capital, so I don't feel that going to a smaller school or a Christian school hurts you as much as you seem to think it will. If you want a compromise, you could look at schools like Wheaton College (highly-respected Christian alma mater of Billy Graham) or... Carleton College (A book I read I think said that Carleton has cranked out the most CEOs as of a few years ago, but my memory's fuzzy). Of course, it's going to depend at least partially on your drive to succeed at whatever school and in whatever jobs you end up in.

As far as an on-campus fellowships go, even if you go to a Christian school, I think it's definitely worth your time to join a fellowship. I have friends at Wheaton who find their fellowship (Koinonia) a much more intimate expression of their faith than just heading to the school-required stuff. Personally, though a couple conferences run by InterVarsity, I've gotten to know the OSU IV staff and the revived Pitt IV chapter, and they strike me as being very solid. A couple of other friends from my time at Mich really like Campus Crusade and the Navigators (This guy was with Mich's IV during med school and Navigators at UCSD during undergrad), so I'd heartily recommend those if they're on whatever campus up you end up on. If you go on college visits, see if you can schedule a time with a campus staff worker and talk to him/her about the group's beliefs, pros/cons, and atmosphere. Most of the info (or at least a contact page) is available online, so it shouldn't be too hard to do. College is one of the most influential times in your life, and if you want to grow your faith, it's gotta be nurtured well.

If I can (try to) help in any other way, feel free to send me a message.

Miami should be your first choice, since you want to go into marketing. That school is highly respected in the world of Ohio business, and you'll make some very valuable contacts there. Visit the campus and take their tour. You'll probably like it.

OSU and Cincinatti are also good schools, but I don't think they have any special marketing/business reputations.

Out of state, the University of Pennsylvania (not Pittsburgh) is the #1 ranked marketing school in the nation. Indiana is also among the best schools. (US News 2008 ranking)

Yes there some colleges in which you can take those kinds of classes, but they are usually the community college ones. 4 year university ones require a form, possibly money to apply, and essays. I had taken a cake decorating class once at a community college. And yes, I did meet my spouse at college. It was our freshman year at Michigan State University. We are meant for each other!

haha I'm in a very similar position as you, I'm an upcoming high school senior, so I actually am not the person to be answering, but you mentioned that you don't know who to talk to. If you have a favorite teacher in your school, or your guidance counselor definitely should be able to help you. Also, do you know any friends who are already in college? Maybe try talking to them too.

Ohio State and University of Cincinnati. Stay in state- save your money. You will need to go to grad school anyways and that will add to your total education bill.

You live in a state with good schools- use them!