Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should I get a super cheap, old car?

I just moved to the Los Angeles area from Boston, and I haven't driven since high school. I don't know much about cars, except that I seem to need one now. I only have around $2000 or less to spend, and the only cars I can get at that price are either

1. Mediocre cars that are around 10-15 years old

2. "Good" cars that are 15+ years old

I'm only interested in buying from an owner, paying for it at all times.

What are the risks with getting such a car, and is it worth it? I'm just afraid that it'll rack up costs in repairs, or worse- explode while I'm on the street... Is it worth it? If not, what should I do? I can really only afford this much... there are 1987 cars listed at $800 on craigslist from people who say they are moving away, and I'm sorely tempted.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Cars that cheap ($800) you end up fixing all the time and spending tons of money in repairs.

• jb
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I suggest that you take a look into getting a scooter instead

of an old car. A brand new scooter may only be about $2000 and

they get about 50 miles to the gallon. Plus a new scooter should

have a warranty so you wont have to worry about repairs. It is much more sunnier in LA than Boston.

However, if you prefer to get a cheap old car, you have to consider many factors such as:

* What year is it?

* How many miles are on it?

* Has it been in an accident?

* Does it need tires now or soon?

* How many owners has it had?

* Is the windshield cracked?

* What gas mileage does it get?

* Does it pass emissions?

* If it's really old, is it hard to replace the parts?

You have the right to have a used car checked by a mechanic before you buy it. You should definitely try to do that.

You never know. You may just get lucky with a good deal on a old cheap car. Think about the scooter, though. Take one for a test drive.

• mo
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I would suggest you get a Japanese car, preferrably a Honda or Toyota. They will last you a lifetime. You dont have to go back all the way to 1987, you can find a 96 accord and older for $2000 and less.

• 1 decade ago

type into search box

how to check used car

wil get you a check list to look for signs of problems finding anything on list leads you away from buying any car your checking my car 98 ford i got 6yrs ago 1300 bucks has over 300,000 miles still driving just fine learn how to check used cars and that info you can use rest of life

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.