Should I get a super cheap, old car?

I just moved to the Los Angeles area from Boston, and I haven't driven since high school. I don't know much about cars, except that I seem to need one now. I only have around $2000 or less to spend, and the only cars I can get at that price are either

1. Mediocre cars that are around 10-15 years old

2. "Good" cars that are 15+ years old

I'm only interested in buying from an owner, paying for it at all times.

What are the risks with getting such a car, and is it worth it? I'm just afraid that it'll rack up costs in repairs, or worse- explode while I'm on the street... Is it worth it? If not, what should I do? I can really only afford this much... there are 1987 cars listed at $800 on craigslist from people who say they are moving away, and I'm sorely tempted.

Favorite Answer

Cars that cheap ($800) you end up fixing all the time and spending tons of money in repairs.

• jb

I suggest that you take a look into getting a scooter instead

of an old car. A brand new scooter may only be about $2000 and

they get about 50 miles to the gallon. Plus a new scooter should

have a warranty so you wont have to worry about repairs. It is much more sunnier in LA than Boston.

However, if you prefer to get a cheap old car, you have to consider many factors such as:

* What year is it?

* How many miles are on it?

* Has it been in an accident?

* Does it need tires now or soon?

* How many owners has it had?

* Is the windshield cracked?

* What gas mileage does it get?

* Does it pass emissions?

* If it's really old, is it hard to replace the parts?

You have the right to have a used car checked by a mechanic before you buy it. You should definitely try to do that.

You never know. You may just get lucky with a good deal on a old cheap car. Think about the scooter, though. Take one for a test drive.

• mo

I would suggest you get a Japanese car, preferrably a Honda or Toyota. They will last you a lifetime. You dont have to go back all the way to 1987, you can find a 96 accord and older for $2000 and less.

type into search box

how to check used car

wil get you a check list to look for signs of problems finding anything on list leads you away from buying any car your checking my car 98 ford i got 6yrs ago 1300 bucks has over 300,000 miles still driving just fine learn how to check used cars and that info you can use rest of life