What does it mean if you keep seeing the same number everywhere?

I know im not crazy, but for some wierd reason, i keep seeing the number 47 everywhere! either just 47 alone or 11:47. Its kinda creepy, and like idk whats up. everytime i look t the clock its 47 past. (or 11:47) or when i just look over someplace random i see that number! what could it mean? is it like a sign or something?

Favorite Answer

It's coincidence and selective observation/perception caused by a desire to see a pattern.

Once you think you are seeing a pattern, your brain will make you see the pattern. And coincidence isn't that uncommon.

(Here's a great video on just that subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98OTsYfTt-c

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related )

I mean, 47 appears 24 times a day on a clock. It's not that uncommon to see it.

Now, if you only looked at a clock 12 times and saw it every time, that would be a little weird (though still more than likely coincidental), but I bet if you actually counted ALL the times you glanced at a clock you'd see that you saw 30 different numbers for every one time you saw 47. But because the other numbers don't fit your pattern, you ignore them.

Plus, if you are seeing it on a clock that is always on in front of you (like in the bottom corner of a computer monitor) then your brain is always aware of that clock and probably triggers you to look when it meets the pattern your brain is already looking for.

One time, I wrote a short story set in the year 1912. Suddenly, I was seeing 19's, 12's, and 1912 everywhere. I realized that the house down the street was number 1912! The guy I called at work had a phone number that ended in 1912! My grocery bill was $19.12! I even saw it in the ISBN number on the back of a book!

However, when I stopped and thought about it, the house down the street was 9 or 10 houses away. There was a 1911, 1910, 1909, and a host of other numbers before and after that house. I just picked the one that met my pattern to notice and focus on.

And at work, I'm on the phone to 20 or 30 people a day. I probably called nearly 200 people that week, which would mean any 4-digit number combination actually had an average 1-in-5 (20%) chance of coming up anyway. And for the one that met my pattern, 199 others didn't. I just didn't think about them. And the groceries? I only had a $20 on me and so I was trying to keep the total under that while buying as much as possible. It wasn't unusual I'd wind up around $19 and some change. If I added the other groceries I bought that week, the total actual bill was closer to $75. And that same day I bought breakfast, two sodas, a CD, and gas, and none of those wound up at 19.12. And the ISBN? It is a long 13-digit number (so lots of chances for 1912 to line up) and it was in only one ISBN of the 15 or so books sitting on the shelf I was flipping through.

It's just pattern recognition and ignoring hits that don't fit the pattern. You already think you are seeing 47s, so your brain will zero in on them when they do appear as if it is a special occurrence, ignoring all the numbers that aren't 47.

It's the same way that your brain doesn't register the feeling or weight of your clothes until you think about them, then you can suddenly feel them hanging on your shoulders, brushing your knees. When you aren't thinking about them, your brain does feel them, but ignores the sensation. But once you think about them, your brain recognizes the sensation and makes you aware of it.

• But as i was saying, There are many people who see the number 47, And it's almost like very few know what this means, I see it hidden in certain people's videos, as clue's almost. Not only that, I use to wake up at _:47 everyday for like 3 days straight, So its real and it has a meaning,

I see 47 popping up in a lot of places myself. In movies, commercial's, video game, ect. I see a lot of numbers popping up at certain times, but I can tell that it's just patterns, but 47 really is abnormal then all the rest of the number. Sort of like the number 23.

You are not Crazy and your feeling is right : 47 is a sign!!! me too I see 47 everywhere since 7 years and I have a beautiful Story with this number, 47 is a sign for me and a way of meditation, you can read it here : zohra473.tumblr.com/dream47

It is called "obsessive" behavior.

You see 47 everywhere because you are looking for 47 everywhere.

Try looking for a different number for a while. I think you are beginning to wear out the 47s of the universe. Nothing worse than a raw 47.

It's a warning telling you not to say Jennifer five times in the mirror, or else you will inherit a million smackers and someone else will die. After that, you have seven days to make someone else say Jennifer five times in the mirror or she will crawl out of your telephone and kill you. If you die in such a horrible way, you will become a vengeful ghost, and anyone who bumps into you will become swept up in the same ghostly curse.

That happens alot to me , i think it's like you have a timer in your brain cause every time i look at the time i find it's either 911 or 711 and once i was watching a dvd movie and the timer started and exactly every ten minutes i would look at it automatically and i'd find that the timer has added ten minutes . so i think we do have timers in our brain like if you wakeup every day at the same time you don't need an alarm anymore i wake up to school without an alarm .

the number might mean something look them up .

hope i helped

Aye this is so weird I'm seeing the same number every where!

Get Your Video Numerology Report!

youre not crazy! i have the same issue, except i see the number 155 everywhere. i see it on the clock (and not on purpose), when i listen to music and i look at the minutes and seconds i see 155, i see it in address numbers. just about anywhere theres a number, its there. i totally know what you mean about it being creepy. sorry, no answer, just thought id share that i know what you mean.

oh and my favorite artist sings a song titled 155. really creepy...

• Janez

What does it mean when you have de ja vu? Cuz I think I am having it now. This question seems really familiar except the number was different.