Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

You more worried that the "stimulus" doesn't seem to be working OR that Obama says it's "working as intended"?

Notice how his rationale for this not working is nearly identical to his rationale for why unemployment continues to rise. Don't look at the actual numbers, just IMAGINE how much worse it would have been had we not pissed away $700 billion. He helped avert the second great depression, don't you understand :)

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24792.ht...

President Barack Obama on Saturday touted his administration’s economic stimulus spending, saying that it pulled "our financial system and our economy back from the brink."

His remarks in an unusually long edition of his weekly radio and internet address came after a week in which unemployment hit 9.5 percent and Republicans increasingly denounced the stimulus as a failure.

After beginning with a recap of his "progress on these challenges abroad" during his trip overseas this week, Obama quickly pivoted to the stimulus and offered a direct challenge to right-wing critics of the government spending, saying they "have yet to offer a plausible alternative."

First, he sought to reframe the public’s expectations for the spending program. “The Recovery Act wasn’t designed to restore the economy to full health on its own, but to provide the boost necessary to stop the free fall,” Obama said. “It was designed to spur demand and get people spending again and cushion those who had borne the brunt of the crisis.”

norma a........"Some economic analyst don't seem to think it is a failure"

Can you name one??

bash......that was basically an admission that the money is to handed out prior to 2010 elections. Wonder why they would do that :)

*is to be handed

• Best Answer

Im more worried about the latter

Something needed to be done, but what hurt the stimulus was all the pork that was added to and concealed inside it. Instead of being a shot in the arm it has become a national joke and a source of much embarrassment to the Dems (those that are not in denial or are totally ignorant as to what is going on). The little piggies in Washington just can't seem to stay away from the big government trough! Greed and corruption turned something that could have been very beneficial to our country into a national nightmare.

Source(s): a fiscal moderate/social conservative who is not a member of either political party

No I am much more worried about the fact that the public seems to have such unrealistic expectations.

It took many years for our country to reach the state it's in and Obama has been in office for approximately 7 months. We can't expect everything or much of anything to be fixed this quickly. I'm a Republican myself and frankly I'm sick of the negative comments continually made by members of my party.

The time has come for the parties to stop playing politics (and I mean both parties) and start working together toward productive solutions instead of sitting around pointing the finger and saying "they're doing it wrong".

So what's your solution for doing it right?

Ask me how I feel in 2 years.

Source(s): I am a political consultant, analyst and operative.

It's working. Otherwise The President would have started a war with North Korea.

How can one say it didn't work when no time limit was put on it. Can Obama delete all of the problems created by Republicans in 12 years in just 6 months?

okay, first of all you seem educated so common sense would tell you that things don't work that fast because if it was that easy to fix this economy the past idiot would have fix it! Give it about a whole year before anyone start bashing him. Me personally i think all parties are full of shi*!!!

• The latter.

People who actually paid attention to him earlier KNOW that rising unemployment and a generally tanking economy IS how it's intended to work. Obama literally said so during the campaign.

I'm more worried about the vice president saying they misread the first one.That is comparable to a skipper flying a plane without looking at charts before.

Source(s): Independent American

80% budget deficit, what a joke, thieving conartist usurping fraudsters! Down with the Great Satan

How in the hell was trillions being spent on honey bee research, pig poop odor and a bridge going to some backwoods bar going to make people spend again? If you want me spending, then let me keep my money and I will invest back into the economy. Duh.

Source(s): common sense!
  • Sarah

You didn't post the rest:

"“As I made clear at the time it was passed, the Recovery Act was not designed to work in four months – it was designed to work over two years,” Obama said. “We also knew that it would take some time for the money to get out the door, because we are committed to spending it in a way that is effective and transparent.”