Are there any reasons to vote yes on prop 8 that don't have to do with religion?

I know that it has already passed, but are there honestly any reasons to vote yes on 8 that don't have to do with religion?

I want some honest facts, please, with lots of evidence, and no personal opinions.

hey I should probably mention that I am AGAINST prop 8, I'm just curious.

Favorite Answer

I too am against prop 8 but I've read up on the other side of things. When you take out the religious stuff some prop 8 supporters have legitimate concerns.

Some believe that churches could be sued for refusing to marry gay couples. This however is totally false and i goggle and google to find these news stories and can't find any. I did read one where a gay couple sued a hotel for discrimination.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5032750/Homosexual...

However a hotel isn't a religious organization. Its a public service provider. I don't believe churches will be forced to marry same sex couples. For the simple fact that its their first amendment right to exercise their right of religion. Only person it would effect is the county clerk who could refuse a marriage listen for his religious beliefs.

http://www.americancatholic.org/news/newsreport.as...

I've also read that supporters also believe that schools and teachers will be forced to teach same sex education, and be taught to accept same sex marriage. Some say that schools will also teach that same sex marriage is "legal and moral" and that schools can't teach that.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081024/n...

Supporters also think about children raised in same sex marriage homes. That without the "mother and father" role in there lives it could be damaging to their emotional and mental health if a same sex couple decides to have children. There is so evidence to support that but there is evidence saying that same sex parenting doesn't effect the mental health of a child. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20051012/s...

So all legitimate concerns but doesn't mean these things are fact and almost all have been proven otherwise to be false. Prop 8 supporters are mostly driven by their religious beliefs. I am a Christian and I am a straight female. I believe in marriage as a union between two people. I believe in a separation of church and state and that the religious beliefs can't dictate the law in a country where so many religions are practiced.

I think it's a pretty big generalization to say that only Christians and Racists voted to pass that particular bill. Democracy is what it is. You take your lumps sometimes. I don't like Obama or McCain and think the federal government has completely overstepped its bounds in every way. The Constitution (in my opinion) should give almost all power to the states for them to decide. In other words, California had the right to choose whether or not to allow gay marriage, they chose not. Good example of allowing states decide. Roe v. Wade overstepped. Again an example of the federal government over reaching and not allowing states to decide on their own. The beauty of this country is we are allowed to vote and respectfully disagree. I would be careful of hammering religion and using racism to argue any point. Work to persuade with a logical argument and I think it will go a lot farther to changing people's opinion in your favor.

• DAR

Actually, yes, although I voted against it because my overarching belief that it wasn't equal treatment overcame those issues.

In California, government has PC education and interferes with what can and can't be taught in schools. Repeatedly it has been raised in California whether, for example, kids as young as kindergartners would have to be taught someone was gay if they studied them. (My kids learned about Tchaikovsky in kindergarten, for example.) At that age they are already told some kids have no daddy, some have two mommies or two daddies, and I don't have an issue with that.

But I WOULD have an issue with having to explain 'gay' to a four or five year old if the family didn't think that child was at a level where sexuality was appropriate to teach. Kids don't care about that at that age, and forcing it on them is too much and intrusive on the family raising the child.

That Prop 8 opponents actually stood at the schools waving anti prop 8 signs and made a huge issue in front of the children is what I think likely killed it, to tell you the truth. Many parents I saw looked horrified, particularly parents of the younger children, who were asking questions. It was a BIG DEAL demonstration at schools at drop off in the morning on election day.

I have no idea whose bright notion that was, but I suggest it not be repeated on a future attempt.

Perhaps the people of California would like the definition of marriage as the union of a single adult male to a single, unrelated adult female.

It may be a narrow view to some, but there is no religious aspect to it.

Source(s): my brain.

For most people, separating religious reasons is almost impossible. Actually, in my religion we should be against gay rights, but I say live and let live. Maybe some people just don't like to see something different happen.

• Daniel

I am sorry for I cant think of any reasons to vote yes on Prop 8. Maybe the cost to the state and federal govt. for benefits, but if we believe in equal protection under the law, that does not fly. So, no is my answer.

Great question and great subtext on how to ask it to get appropriate answers.

I remain,

Respectfully,

Your Assistant

where all just gonna go off and marry animals.....

yeah, pretttttyyyyy stupid.

i don't think prop 8 should have anything to do with the government anyway. how do they have a say in how people live there lives???

Take the religious factor out and there is no point to Proposition 8 whatsoever.

Consider that it was hardcore fundamentalists that were pushing it and spending millions of advertising to frighten ordinary folks that "marriage was being threatened"

• ?

I tell you why and you maybe won't like it I got deleted last time I said this. Gay people are nuts for treating and whore their body's the wrong way in sex like a prostitute. That has nothing to do with religion but common sense.

I'm sorry but it really is a relative question... from my prospective the gay lifestyle is both repulsive and deviant -- my opinion has nothing to do with the bible.

Are gays really any different to the character Bruno?