I ping my router and yahoo.com w/my command prompt but i can't use my browser? no error message.?

nothing much else to say. resetting everything in ANY way does NOT work. No error message of any sort. My computer shows that I am connected. I even installed the new internet explorer 8...in other words, while installing it, reached out and downloaded the necessary installations...however, this did not fix my "no access with my browser" problem. This goes with foxfire and avant browsers too. Any ideas? Also, please don't tell me to pick "automatically assign" in the tools settings etc. THANKS!!

Favorite Answer

Sounds like a firewall problem. I suspect your firewall didn't ask or wasn't told to allow your browser through. This is especially possible with a new browser (IE8) the firewall hasn't seen before.

Open up your firewall and look for a tab/operation that allows/disallows Internet access to programs. When you find it, check on your browsers' states and, if needed, fix them.

Good luck.

you may have a virus that causes dos (denial of service)

http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

to get avg antivirus and install on affected computer do a scan to see if this finds anything