what do you young people think of vietman war?

58,000 dead +

I'm a v vet

and I'll do whatever my country asks of me

I love freedom

I've seen a lot of other countries and they're not good

Best Answer

Welcome Home Brother. For those of you who, after thirty four years after the fall of Saigon, still believe the US "lost" the Vietnam War,... THE UNITED STATES DID NOT LOSE THE WAR IN VIETNAM, THE SOUTH VIETNAMESE DID. The fall of Saigon happened 30 April 1975, two years AFTER the American military left Vietnam. The last American troops departed in their entirety 29 March 1973.

How could we lose a war we had already stopped fighting? We fought to an agreed stalemate. The peace settlement was signed in Paris on 27 January 1973. It called for release of all U.S. prisoners, withdrawal of U.S. forces, limitation of both sides' forces inside South Vietnam and a commitment to peaceful reunification. The 140,000 evacuees in April 1975 during the fall of Saigon consisted almost entirely of civilians and Vietnamese military, NOT American military running for their lives. There were almost twice as many casualties in Southeast Asia (primarily Cambodia) the first two years after the fall of Saigon in 1975 then there were during the ten years the U.S. was involved in Vietnam. Thanks for the perceived loss and the countless assassinations and torture visited upon Vietnamese, Laotians, and Cambodians goes mainly to the American media and their undying support by misrepresentation of the anti-War movement in the United States.

As with much of the Vietnam War, the news media misreported and misinterpreted the 1968 Tet Offensive. It was reported as an overwhelming success for the Communist forces and a decided defeat for the U.S. forces. Nothing could be further from the truth. Despite initial victories by the Communists forces, the Tet Offensive resulted in a major defeat of those forces. General Vo Nguyen Giap, the designer of the Tet Offensive, is considered by some as ranking with Wellington, Grant, Lee and MacArthur as a great commander. Still, militarily, the Tet Offensive was a total defeat of the Communist forces on all fronts. It resulted in the death of some 45,000 NVA troops and the complete, if not total destruction of the Viet Cong elements in South Vietnam. The Organization of the Viet Cong Units in the South never recovered.

http://macvsog.cc/vietnam_war_facts_vs_fiction.htm

Source(s): Vigilant Always Disabled Vietnam Veteran U.S. Army Security Agency / U.S. Army Intelligence & Security Command U.S. Army 24th PSYOPS (DS) Co. 05H10 EW/SIGINT Morse Interceptor 05K20 EW/SIGINT Non-Morse Interceptor 96B30S Intelligence Analyst 96C30S Interrogator Christian, American, Heterosexual, Pro-gun, Conservative, Any Questions?

As an active duty servicemember, I understand that any time we have to go to war is a sad time, and when possible, should be avoided.

Considering the fight against communism (thought not having been alive at the time- I'm 20), the war seems to have been perfectly legimate on the basis of the domino theory, and can also be defended today on the basis of freedom.

Our troops fought a war that was massively unpopular in the publics eyes, and were never thanked for their tremendous achievements for the country that rejected them.

As a general rule, they served honorably and were never defeated on the battlefield, and the backbone of the the opposition was soundly broken during the Tet Offensive.

It was a shame that the politicians tied our troops' hands and didn't let them fight the way it needed to be fought-offensively and with commitment. The war needed to be brought to the north for full effect.

Our mission was containment. We won the war in that sense. The 1973 Paris Peace Accord was signed, ending it, and containing communism in the north, which was the intended goal.

After American withdrawal, the war began anew and was lost by the South Vietnamese, who had been greatly supplied by us prior to the peace accords. As such, the US can take no fault in their demise.

Source(s): More books on the subject than one can count. College history major who loves to study military history, tactics, and theory- with practical uses, as I'm active duty military.
  • I find it amazing how the kiddies keep blaming Viet Nam on President Kennedy. 30 years of war reduced to just the short time we had combat troops there. Amazing how the press and history books these kids get do this.

Mr. Puma left out the reason for TET 68 being the loss of 3 full generantions of men in the north. Giap was running out of manpower and repeated the failure of The Ardennes by Hitler.

Helen and her family and friends began to talk a lot when Kerry was running for President. Many of them knew nothing about the anti war rhetoric that took place here. One of her girlfreinds from Saigon got in my face, she was just so mad that anyone here could believe the kind of crap he put out in the hearings. Her brother in law was an ARVN Officer 55-75 and wanted to cut off Kerry's manhood. The Vietnamese language papers just slammed him....and all they had to do was tell the truth.

The link is great and full of lot's of info.

SSG US Army 73-82

i believe that the vietnam war was rigged by the politicians to be lost due to the fact that we never lost once to the viet cong on the ground the politicians simply gave up the war second there were many things that went wrong during the war that many people do not recognize ie. Robert Mcnamara deciding it would be cheaper not to chrome line the barrell and chamber of the M16 and the soliders not being issued cleaning kits for their rifles so in all my opinion of the war in Nam is that we easily could have won and destroyed the viet cong were it not for the politicians stupidity and i thank you for your service in protecting this great country in which we live

Source(s): .

I think it was a necessary war. We went in with the intentions of stopping the spread of Communism (which has shown to be dangerous time and time again), however the politicians and the government under Johnson tied the military's arms behind their backs and did not allow them to carry out their missions. Rules of engagement and other political obstacles hurt our military efforts. We should have put more effort into the war and most importantly, the people back at home should have supported the troops (most of whom were drafted against their wishes and had no say in whether they went or not). I am 19 years old, and I support the Vietnam War and the troops who sacrificed more than I will ever know!

Source(s): High School and College History classes and Father, Uncle and Stepfather served in Vietnam

As a Vietnamese American I thank every Vietnam Vet for allowing my parents to have that taste of freedom.

• ?

As far as I am able to determine it makes for a great movie. It would seem as if many of them cannot wait to enlist for yet another meaningless cause in Iraq. Those who text message in history class are condemned to repeat it.

Vietnam was a rather tragic disappointment of a war. We were unable to accomplish the mission and, in the end, set a dangerous precedent by allowing domestic public opinion to dictate the rules of engagement for our soldiers abroad.

That said, those who served in that war are worthy of respect and distinction. You and your brothers in arms fought like hell and undeservedly got a bad rap for doing so. I salute you, sir.

Well you wont like my opinion but i think we should not have been there period. We should have invaded Cuba but JFK pussed out only to get in a far worse war where Russia and China both set up a huge trap in a jungle 1000s of miles away instead of hitting the communists 90 miles off our coast.

they don't have a clue everyone 18 to 30, should service in the ARMED SERVICE, no gays and no sick people reason to exclude gays is blood transfusion mike

Source(s): my feelings