nyc
nyc asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Hi. If a house was built more than 200 years ago, should we test the house for lead before the baby is born?

It is my parents in law's house, and my husband says it is safe, because they painted the house with latex like 40 years ago... but as a mom to be,, I am worried.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much..

p.s. Our NYC apartment is pretty old and my husband painted it twice 8 years ago. He said it's safe, but I anyway tested it. And it came out very positive for lead, the highest amount of lead the lab can detect was detected, so we are re-painting it all over again.. So it makes me worry that what about the house that is 200 years old..

Favorite Answer

yes, and hidden mold, in case the baby is allergic, but those things can add up

• ?

Boy...you haven't any longer any concept how lots i've got theory approximately that query. We offered 22 acres approximately 7 years in the past and geared up a tiny "mom in rules" abode with plans to construct an more desirable abode at a later time. We own 2 contracting agencies, organic Stone Fabrication and the different w/ a contractor's license does installations. We additionally own a superb Italian eating place. choose I say what the housing disaster has carried out to our contracting agencies...ditto with the eating place through fact no one is spending precise now. i might basically build a one point 3 mattress room, 3 bath abode with a extensive outdoor for the babies. precise now the babies share our mattress room and it rather is terrible. Our timber fence blew down for the duration of the Santa Ana's and we've not got the money to re-build it. i can't get a harm from those young babies to shop my soul. I even had Mike decrease my hair through fact it rather is too lots of a difficulty to get somebody up hear to babysit for an hour to get my hair decrease. you need to SEE MY HAIR! OH MY LORD! *roflmao* i don't know no rely if it rather is maniacal laughter or the laughter of lost motives!

• Bub

I think your hubby is right, but why not check it to be sure? The problems with lead paint is the chips that kids can get to if it chips or peels off or if they chew on a window sill, etc. Not likely, but, if you know it has no lead in it, won't you and he feel so much better? How about asbestos insulation or in the drywall popcorn ceilings, etc. Good luck and congrats!

• Yes definitley. We just talked about this in my college nutrition class on Tuesday. The professor said even if a little sliver of the paint gets swallowed or absorbed in the skin it could be very harmful or even deadly!

Source(s): 18 weeks

i would just cus they re painted dose not mean lead is not in the walls form old paint! check if you fell the need nothing wrong it be safe

yes i would cause they could have painted over it. Also its never a problem to be safe for your baby.

As a mom myself, I ALWAYS err on the side of caution. It's better to know for sure than to wonder, especially where your little one is concerned.

200 years?? YES! Get an inspection.

If it has been repainted with latex then it should be ok.

it would be good to be safe than sorry