Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

The Thompson 1927 A1?

Look, I know the thing is 82 freaking years old, in design at the least.

I know that hordes of more modern weapons have been made since.

But I want to know several things about the Thompson 1927 A1:

A - Is it still in production? Who produces it?

B - Are the cartridges and ammunition still in production? Who produces those?

C - Is there anywhere in the world where the Thompson 1927 A1 is still used for anything other than reenactment?

D - Is the 1927 A1 a viable weapon in modern combat, as a back-up weapon for a soldier, or a main weapon for a guerrilla soldier?

E - Is the 1927 A1, and its cartridge and ammunition, easy to build and replicate for a non-professional firearm manufacturer (aka is it easy to illegally built one?)?

Final Note: This question is merely for personal knowledge. I am not trying to built or acquire a Thompson.

If you could answer all of the above alphabetically organised questions, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks a lot eh!

Update:

F - Bonus Question: Have you ever fired a 1927 A1? If so, what was it like?

Update 2:

By the way, the "Final Note" is not part of the question.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

A. There are a few companies that make reproductions, but they are exceedingly hard to find.

B. Yes. The Thompson fired .45 ACP rounds, the same as the Colt 1911. It was set up this way so that soldiers could carry one type of ammunition for both of their guns. The cartridges are the same as ammunition, but if you are talking about the clips, those are still available. With the exception of the reproductions, you can only buy vintage clips, available from several online sources and maybe a few stores.

C. They are occasionally used in movies, but they are considered obsolete as a service weapon.

D. No, they are nowhere near as accurate as an m16 or other available combat rifles. For guerrilla tactics, any gun would work, but there are cheaper things out there than the A1.

E. They are not illegal as long as you register with the state or country telling them that you have a submachine gun. You can buy a full parts kit for $1000 from http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant....

Final note: Why not? Its a great gun for a collector. If you have the resources to get one, do so!

F. Yes I have. It doesn't kick, but rises a lot and can be hard to control. if you don't fire in short bursts, the gun is very inaccurate. Overall, it was a fun time, and a great gun. Hope that answers your question.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The correct designation is M1928A1.

This is the original model of the Thompson sub-machine gun used by the United States Marines and Coast Guard from 1928 and using most of the original standard Thompson features. During WWII this weapon was replaced in production by the M1 as the original model was difficult and expensive to manufacture. The M1 simplified the mechanism, replacing the "Blish Block" with a simple blowback setup, eliminating the barrel cooling fins, eliminating the drum magazine, muzzle compensator and moving the cocking handle to the right side. The forgrip was also changed from the original pistol grip. Basically other than the basic shape this weapon retained no Thompson features.

Production of the M1928 ended around 1941 while that of the M1 ended in 1945. As mentioned above, a few companies have over the years made working and non-working replica's but I am not aware of any current activity. I have only handled a non-firing replica. It was big and heavy.

The ammunition is the hugely popular 0.45 ACP pistol cartridge which is made by the billions of rounds in every part of the world.

There are no current military users of any model of Thompson but they do show up from time to time in far flung corners of the world in the hands of irregular troops and revolutionaries.

The M1928A1 Thompson is more than twice as heavy as a M4 Carbine while offering considerably less accuracy, lethality and range. This has a lot to do with why nobody uses them anymore. Yes you can still kill things with it but its not going to be your first, fifth or even 20th choice if you have other options to pick from.

As mentioned the M1928 was very difficult and expensive to mass produce. Reportedly the Viet Cong produced crude copies of the much simpler (but still overly expensive and difficult) M1 Thompson but one wonders why they would bother. A Sten, PPSh or MP40 copy would be so much easier and cheaper to do.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A: Not 100% sure, but for a semi-informed guess I'd say yes.

B: Certainly, absolutely. It fires the same .45 caliber bullet as the M1911 Colt does.

C: If You mean as a frontline infantry weapon, possibly in some smaller third world armies, but I doubt it.

D: Oh yes, the Thompsom is a very effective weapon, especially at close quarters.

E: It was a pretty elegant design for it's day. But I'm sure given the parts and specs any decent modern gunsmith could make one.

F: Lots of fun actually. For a WW2 Era submachinegun however I'd prefer a German MP40.

• 3 years ago

they are actual extremely precise in case you are able to recover from the heavy set off and rudimentary factors of interest (the 1927 has greater effective factors of interest than the M1 version although). it rather is at perfect a one hundred-one hundred fifty backyard gun through fact it lobs sluggish and heavy .40 5 bullets :) If I have been you, i might purchase some 50 around drums to hold directly to, yet purchase a field crammed with stick mags to shoot. The drums are a undergo purely to put in the gun (that's why the WW2 M1 version replaced into on no account made to take drums). you will discover the stick mags pass on and rancid lots much less stressful, are much less stressful to load, and don't unbalance the gun (and get interior the way of your left arm).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.