Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

im nearly 34 weeks pregnant what will happen if i catch swine flu?

im nearly 34 weeks gone and alot of people in my town have swine flu. what will haooen if i catch it? what will happen to my baby too?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Ellie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Pregnancy is among the "underlying health issues" that can compromise someone who comes down with swine flu, so do NOT ignore flu-like symptoms. Take normal precautions to keep from getting the virus, and report symptoms to your MD IMMEDIATELY, for possible administration of Tamiflu (most effective if taken early on).

Symptoms, per Centers for Disease Control (CDC): "The symptoms of novel H1N1 flu virus in people are similar to the symptoms of seasonal flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. A significant number of people who have been infected with this virus also have reported diarrhea and vomiting."

To avoid H1N1 "swine flu," again per CDC: Take these everyday steps to protect your health:

* Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

* Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.

* Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.

* Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

* Stay home if you are sick for 7 days after your symptoms begin or until you have been symptom-free for 24 hours, whichever is longer. This is to keep from infecting others and spreading the virus further.

This flu has NOT been as lethal as people feared it would be, but your pregnancy makes you part of a vulnerable population. DO go to your physician (avoid emergency departments crowded with sick people, if you can) if you do develop symptoms.

Be well! Best wishes.

• 1 decade ago

Well, the media is making a big deal about the swine flu, so people are thinking its really bad. But more people die from regular flu each year than total Americans infected by swine flu. And the chances of dying from the flu are very, very small. As for the swine flu, as long as you don't have any underlying medical conditions that weaken your immune system, theres nothing to worry about. If you get it, just wait until it goes away. You will be fine - it's basically a bad cold.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nothing more than if you caught regular common Influenza. All you can do is keep yourself protected as best as possible. Stay away from large crowds/groups of people. Wash hands regularly, shower twice a day if possible, keep immune system up (which I'm sure you are doing).. and so on.

The H1N1 virus is just a different strain of influenza,.. it isn't particularly deadly (at the moment) nor does it act any different than a regular influenza viral infection on your body.

Hope that helps..

• Nothing my friends mom has the swine flu and gave birth 3 daiiz ago [while having swine flu];; swine flu is nothing bad js a normal flu :D

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You won't catch it. Trust me. Wash your hands. you'll be fine. You shouldn't worry about the swine flu.

If you do catch it (which won't happen) you'll probably be fine if you treat it really early. It's not a very severe virus. The baby will probably be fine, too.

But you won't catch it.

• 1 decade ago

At the emergency room there was a pregnat woman who caught the swine flu, she ended up losing her baby. but i wish you the best.

Source(s): I am a docter
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its a slight risk i would take all the precautions such as hand gel cleaning every surface in your house especially the handles of doors and cupboards.The baby will be OK. if you get any symptoms go straight to the hospital.

Source(s): NHS.com
  • 1 decade ago

just dont catch it.....wash ur hands stay away from crowds blah blah blah....idc bcuz its very old and rare in rochester NY

• 1 decade ago

it may be transmitted to your baby... if i were you i would go somewhere else for the rime being a wait until he/she is born

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.