What is the origin and meaning of the word Hallelujah?

I know it is often used in praising God, and it just occurred to me that the word ends in "Jah" Which is how people often pronounce the beginning of God's name in English (Jahovah, Yahweh)

Anyone know? I do believe the word originated from the Hebrew Bible

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I believe that it is the Hebrew form of "Praises to Yahweh" Yahweh is the memorial name of God. "Yahweh means I will be manifested in whom I will be." It is God's intention to fill the whole world with His Glory and to this we say HALLELUJAH. That word should not be used flippantly as we hear it used frequently when people shout out that they have won something. Praise belongs to YAH.

Exodus says I AM but this describes God's Character... He Was, HE Is And HE Will Be

Source(s): Exodus 3;14
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Hallelujah is A transliteration of the Hebrew expression ha·lelu-Yah′, appearing first at Psalm 104:35. It is nearly always translated “praise Jah, you people.” The word means “Praise Jah, you people,” “Jah” being the shortened form of the divine name, Jehovah.

The expression occurs 24 times in the Hebrew Scriptures and, with the exception of Psalm 135:3 “praise Jah", introduces and/or concludes the Psalms in which it is found. (See Psalms 112:1; 115:18; 146:1, 10; 147:1, 20; 148:1, 14; 149:1, 9; 150:1, 6.) Jah is A poetic shortened form of Jehovah, the name of the Most High God. (Ex. 15:1, 2) This abbreviated form is represented by the first half of the Hebrew Tetragrammaton יהוה (YHWH), that is, the letters yohdh (י) and he’ (ה), the tenth and fifth letters of the Hebrew alphabet respectively. Jah occurs 50 times in the Hebrew Scriptures, 26 times alone, and 24 times in the expression “Hallelujah,” which is, literally, a command to a number of people to “praise Jah.”

In the Christian Greek Scriptures “Jah” appears four times in the expression Hallelujah. (Revelation 19:1, 3, 4, 6) Most Bibles simply carry this Greek expression over into English untranslated, but G. W. Wade renders it, “Praise ye Jehovah,” or “Praise Jah, you people!”

<watchtower.org>

"Insight on the Scriptures," Bible Encyl. Vol 1

Bible -

• emayo
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Origin Of Hallelujah

• Glen
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

In the Hebrew Bible hallelujah is actually a two-word phrase, not one word. The first part, hallelu, is the second-person imperative masculine plural form of the Hebrew verb hallal.[2] However, "hallelujah" means more than simply "praise Yah", as the word hallel in Hebrew means a joyous praise, to boast in God, or to act madly or foolishly.[3] The second part, Yah, is a shortened form of the name of God YHWH, sometimes rendered in English as "Yahweh" or "Jehovah". The Septuagint translates Yah as Kurios (the LORD).

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is a compound of two words in Biblical Hebrew, a transliteration of the Hebrew word הַלְלוּיָהּ

1) Hallilu is the plural form of you should praise,

2) יה Yah is an abbreviation of the

tetragramatton YHWH.

הַלְלוּיָהּ occurs 24 times in the Hebrew Bible, mostly in Psalms chapters 103-118.

Source(s): General knowledge
  • Lisa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Hallelujah is a word of praise to God literally. It is from the Hebrew Hallel and Jah meaning Praise and God or Jehovah respectively.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its the Hebrew version of the Arabic Alhamdulilla - and English Praise be to God.

• gina
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It means praise Jah you people.Jah is short for Jehovah and was used by David in the Hebrew scriptures.But it is also used in Revelation.

• 5 years ago

Isn't it interesting that Judeo-Christian tradition ignores (resists?) noting the Arabic word for God: "Allah" and the word "Alhamdulilla," praise be to God?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hal`le`lu´iah means "Praise ye Jehovah." - an exclamation used chiefly in songs of praise or thanksgiving to God, and as an expression of gratitude or adoration.

Source(s): http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Halleluiah Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.