falling while pregnant?

Ok so tonight i fell while i was pumping gas at the gas station. I tripped over the hose and hit my side and hip on the raised part of the concrete. I dont think i hit my belly at all but i know i did a number on my hips and i cannot walk, not even 10 feet to the bathroom. I am contemplating going to the hospital but i have felt the baby move numerous times in the past 2 hours since i fell. Should i go to the emergency room or stay at home and rest and see what happens tomorrow?

i did not mention that i am 35 weeks pregnant tomorrow if that makes any differance.

Favorite Answer

being 35 wks pregnant you will bypass the ER and go straight up to the L&D. only pregnant ladies under 20 wks have to go through the ER.

As for the fall .. Go in just to be safe. yes you feel the baby move but the thing is that if there is any chance of you ripping apart of the placenta away from the uterine wall that is very dangerous. You don't have to be spotting or bleeding for this to happen. It could be high enough to not leak out. It could just gather in one spot and clot up but only an ultrasound will tell.

They will keep you several hrs and have you on a NST machine to trace the babys hrt rate and see if your having any contractions. Normally if any thing is going to happen it will be with in the first few hrs after the fall.. Always be safe than sorry!

Source(s): OB?GYN and L&D nurse

I also had a fall while pregnant. I was about 6 months when I was dragged to the ground and then along the ground by one of our horses.

I also landed on my hip, I could still feel the baby moving as per normal (much to the discomfort of my hip). I didn't go to the doctor as the baby was moving as he normally did and I had no unexplained pain or bleeding. I have to admit that if I had been even the slightest bit worried I would have gone straight to the doctor. Do what you feel is best for your baby and you.

Wishing you and your baby all the best.

I would go to the hospital if for no other reason than you can't walk 10 feet to the bathroom! Sounds like that was a hard fall and I would get your baby and everything checked just in case. You never know. The hospital will completely understand your concern. GOOD LUCK!

• Kat

Well, I would go to get the hip checked out if you think something is wrong with it, but if it is just bruised I would say you are safe.

When I was about 20 weeks, I face planted outside of my apartment after tripping. Head, hands and knees were scratched and it took the baby an hour or two to move, but everything was fine.Babies are pretty well protected.

You should go to the ER. You may have injured/fractured your hip which can be dangerous if not identified and treated. You should also go to check up on the baby as well. I guess you could wait until tomorrow since the pain isn't too terribly unbearable, but tomorrow morning is as long as I would wait. If you don't go tonight then go in the morning. You could also call your doc and see what they recommend you do.

i would say as long as the baby is moving normally then i would just wait until the morning and then call the doc. Or u can call one of those nurse hotlines, they can give some really great advice. I use them all the time

If i couldnt even walk i would go to the hospital. Both for you and just to make sure that everything is ok with baby. But call your doc first just to be sure.

Well, if you can't walk, maybe you should see a doctor, but I'm sure the baby is fine. If you didn't hit your belly and you've felt the baby move, he or she is most likely fine.

even though your baby is probably fine because of the moving and kicking still.... you might still want to go in for the fall. they might be able to help you with the pain and just check the baby for better piece of mind!

Source(s): 3 on the way
  • Lauren

Iwould say just go to the ER. But maybe that's just me I worry about everything!