lolzcatz asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Ashtanga yoga, I'm nervous?

Hi,

I've always wanted to try yoga, and I got talking about it with my friend, and it turns out she takes Ashtanga yoga and she offered for me to come with her. It's just, I'm really nervous about going. I don't want to make a fool of myself, and from what I've read it sounds like Ashtanga yoga is fairly difficult! So I don't know if I'll be able to do all of the steps, because I'm not in incredible shape. I'm 15 if that helps, and we'd be going to a level one or beginners class.

Should I go, and what should I expect?

Best Answer

ashtanga is quite energetic, and a lot of people find their first session very challenging, but at the same time it is very addictive, and because you feel so great after the first session, it makes the work worth it.

go along and try, it might just change your life!

• ------

It is more difficult than some other forms of yoga but you don't always have to do the exact same pose the rest of the class is doing. The great thing about yoga is modification: there are many different ways to do a single pose. Poses can be made easier or more difficult. If you're tired and feel like you can't hold a pose any longer, rest in "child's pose." Don't feel like you have to do everything perfectly or hold your poses as long as other people.

When you go, try to get there 10-15 minutes early (or earlier). Talk to the instructor. Tell him or her what yoga experience you have, what kind of activities you do and if you have any injuries. All of the yoga teachers I have had were very kind and accommodating. Remember, everyone was a beginner at one time.

If the instructor talks to you about breathing techniques, listen! Yoga is really all about the breath, called "prana." If you are breathing correctly, you are more focused on the pose and might find you can hold it longer. I sort of ignored a few teachers when I was beginning because I thought the whole breath thing was silly. Now I realize it really has everything to do with yoga. Also, yoga is a very individual practice. It's difficult, but try not to compare how you're doing with how other people are doing.

Good luck and don't worry! I'm 17 and know what you're feeling. Have fun :)

Well

If you like yoga and you need to lose weight forget about the boring monotony of jogging, running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike. You can follow this method that teaches a good and effective method you can use to lose weight with yoga.

Here is the link http://yogafitness.toptips.org

Have a nice day

Yes, you should definitely go. The teacher will be able to help you with any difficulties (if he or she doesn't, you might need a different teacher). Most yoga teachers that I've encountered are understanding and allow you to rest when you need to. Also, a beginner's class might make you sweat, but the poses themselves shouldn't be challenging. Good luck!

• maiya

go as a visual guest if you want to be a beginner

it is better to tray a regular class

never do any Type of exercise with out consulting a doctor- I have been doing Yoga for the past 20 years

dont be nervous i took yoga for the first time a few weeks ago and i loved it im 16 and dont worry everyone is really supportive of you and will help you out with whatever you need

Try drinking skim milk at breakfast instead of juice. Overweight people who drank skim milk for breakfast dined on fewer calories

Identify the emotional triggers that lead you to seek unhealthy comfort food. Picture your goal weight the next time a trigger strikes to help you resist temptation.

Pass on take. You'll be amazed by the amount weight you drop by basically switching to water.

Use a dash of cinnamon to give fruits such as bananas and also melons a richer dessert feel devoid of the sugar.