Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How do you explain that Jesus said from the cross "my god, my god, why hast thou forsaken me"?

My answer is: Under the concepts and precepts of the Christian religion there is no way in hell it was Jesus on that cross. Don't bore me with God had to forsake Jesus or he would not die. With god nothing is impossible.

Favorite Answer

When Jesus says "my god, my god, why hast thou forsaken me?" He is not actually saying these words to God. He is quoting Psalm 22.

Psalm 22 starts with these exact words.

Back then, people knew all the psalms by heart. Jesus spoke these words to remind the crowd there that the psalm, which was a prophecy, was being fulfilled at that moment.

Look at these words from psalm 22:

"So wasted are my hands and feet that I can count all my bones. They stare at me and gloat"

"But I am a worm, hardly human, scorned by everyone, despised by the people"

"they divide my garments among them; for my clothing they cast lots."

Sound familiar?

Psalm 22 was fulfilled at the Crucifixion.

Peace!

Source(s): Catholic

Actually, Jesus was quoting Psalm 22 while He was hanging there on the cross. Even while dieing on the cross, He was still trying to teach the people around Him about who He was, the Messiah; referencing this Messianic Psalm was just one of the ways He did so.

Psalm 22 is about how at the darkest times in David's life, it had seemed that God had forsaken him. However, in actuality, it was the times when God was fighting the hardest for David. Even in the greatest tribulations, God never forsook David. Jesus is saying the same thing to those who were crucifying Him and passing by: that God had not forsaken Him, but was going to deliver Him from this tribulation.

God never forsakes the righteous; never forget that.

Its Psalm 22. jesus is basically saying he's not even a man but a worm and asks God to be saved, and if God would do it, he will tell people about the God of Israel. Then he gives a loud cry and dies. In the original version of the gospel of Mark, this is where the gospel ends - 15:37 Then jesus gave a loud cry and died.

The next addition ends with Mark 16:8 Then they went out and ran away from the tomb, trembling with amazement. They said nothing to anyone for they were afraid.

The earliest copy of the gospel ends with 16:8 and is from the 4th century.

Very interesting indeed!

• RG

If someone were to say, "I pledge allegiance to the flag" or "Our Father who art in heaven," most people could either finish the quotation or prayer or at least understand the ideas being expressed. That is because certain quotations in our culture, whether secular or religious, are known and even memorized because of their importance.

This was true of the Psalms in Jesus time. He needed only to say the first line, and most Jews would have known the rest, or at least the message.

Jesus was quoting Psalm 22, a messianic psalm that vividly describes the agony the suffering servant would endure. God the Father did not abandon his Son in his Son’s suffering but allowed him in his humanity to experience the sense of divine abandonment that humans often feel during times of need, and especially when in sin. Just as we often feel that God has abandoned us when we are suffering (even though this isn’t the case), so the Son of God in his humanity experienced that.aspect of human suffering as well. He died for our sins, and the weight of those sins—and thus the feeling of abandonment—must have been exceedingly heavy at that point.

By quoting this psalm, Jesus shows that he is the fulfillment of that prophecy and that he will be vindicated, which is evident in the psalm’s triumphant ending.

Bottom line is Jesus was fully God and fully man. When He was on the cross, He had human feelings! Even though He was God, He felt what anyone else would feel if they were suffering. He may have felt abandoned at the moment, but overall, He knew he was doing this to bring salvation to everyone. Yes, Jesus WAS on the cross. He suffered for us all.

Jesus needed to suffer everything that we as people suffer, thus in His situation on the cross He was being separated from God so that Jesus would feel and understand what we as human beings go through when we do not know God.

If this is too hard for you to understand, go talk to a pastor. This is not a difficuly concept to grasp, so don't get all p.o'ed saying OH WELL, THAT'S STUPID. Grow up and learn some morals. God sent Jesus to die for you, the least you could do is respect His word. A.K.A the Bible.

Source(s): The Bible And Also Church

God had forsaken Him, as God the father would be nowhere close to sin, and Jesus, at that ingredient, the 9th hour, replaced into taking over himself all the sins of the international, previous and contemporary for us. he's with Him now nonetheless, at His spectacular hand, a place of honour and appreciate.

Jesus was 100 % man and 100 % God. He died for our sins in his human flesh, tho did not die spiritually. Jesus always was from before the foundations of the earth; he then came down in human flesh in fulfillment of the scriptures to save our souls and God the Father accepted this sacrifice. We cant fully understand it, just need to accept and believe.

• Sylar

When Jesus died on the cross, he took apon all of the sin of the world. The sin of the past, the present, and the future. And then he became the sin. Since God is perfect, he had to forsaken his son. Because he was sin. Then Jesus conquered the sin and death when he rose again on the third day. So that way, anyone who comes to him and asks for forgiveness will be saved.

From GotQuestions.org

"Question: "Why did Jesus say, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?""

Answer: “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). This cry is a fulfillment of Psalm 22:1, one of many parallels between that psalm and the specific events of the crucifixion. It has been difficult to understand in what sense Jesus was “forsaken” by God. It is certain that God approved His work. It is certain that He was innocent. He had done nothing to forfeit the favor of God. As His own Son - holy, harmless, undefiled, and obedient - God still loved Him. In none of these senses could God have forsaken Him.

However, Isaiah tells us that “he bore our griefs and carried our sorrows; that he was wounded for our transgressions, and bruised for our iniquities; that the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him; that by his stripes we are healed” (Isaiah 53:4-5). He redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us (Galatians 3:13). He was made a sin-offering, and He died in our place, on our account, that He might bring us near to God. It was this, doubtless, which caused His intense sufferings. It was the manifestation of God’s hatred of sin, in some way which He has not explained, that Jesus experienced in that terrible hour. It was suffering endured by Him that was due to us, and suffering by which, and by which alone, we can be saved from eternal death.

In those awful moments, Jesus was expressing His feelings of abandonment as God placed the sins of the world on Him – and because of that had to “turn away” from Jesus. As Jesus was feeling that weight of sin, He was experiencing separation from God for the only time in all of eternity. It was at this time that 2 Corinthians 5:21 occurred, “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” Jesus became sin for us, so He felt the loneliness and abandonment that sin always produces, except that in His case, it was not His sin – it was ours."