Ang asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

What does G.I. Bill mean..?

Last night my fiance told me I can go to school off his G.I. Bill

What is that? What does it mean? & how does it work?

I wanted to ask him that last night but we were both just way too tired.

Any information at all would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

He has to have so many years of qualifying service before being able to transfer use of the Post 9/11 GI Bill to you. There is a process to transfer the benefits to you AFTER he meets he service obligation, and what follows is a link that gives more details.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Transfe...

The letters GI mean Government Issued.

It has been used in different ways to refer to the same point in different agenda. For instance when I was in the Army we (soldiers ) were called and called ourselves GI's, meaning we were goverment property and they (Gov.) issued us to a foreign country to do Gov. work mutch like tank or a car to be thought of as Gov. property. Like GI Joe,

In the reference you mention GI means a Gov. issued bill of rights that guarentees a service member they can go to school when they get out of the military. The school is usualy colledge and the Gov. pays the tuition for the service member for a certain number of years provided they get an honorable discharge. And there is usualy a stipulation on the time the veteran has to use the education bill. In my case it was contingent upon the era (war time or peace time etc.) I was in during Viet Nam so back then we got the Montgomery GI Bill. This gave a guarentee for me to go to school for up to 10 years and the stipulation was use it or lose it, another words I had 10 years to use up my education grant or the grant would expire. needless to say I was young and goofed off haveing used only one year in juniour colledge and 10 years passed while I was goofing off in Caifornia and I lost my right ot 9 years of free colledge full time tuition. The old Montgomery GI bill had other Gov. Issued goodies to like an intrest free housing loan, where the Gov. (Uncle Sam) literly buys the house you want and you pay Uncle Sam back intrest free and at very low payments., And I still use the VA Hospital for free Dr. and Hospital care for the rest of my life. Not a bad deal if you ask me. But the GI bill of rights very, I don't know what they offer veterans today, but it sounds like there's an education guarentee in there some where. If I were you I'd call the toll free national number and ask them what kind of bill your friend has and exactly what does it guarentee. The # is 1-800-827-1000 any where in the USA. I hope I've answered your question. God bless. Rev. Karl (Allentown Pa.)

Source(s): The US Army, and the Montgomery GI bill of rights they issued me.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does G.I. Bill mean..?

Thanks in advance!

Source(s): bill mean: https://tr.im/usdw2

The GI Bill is a benefit that gives whomever serves their military obligation paid schooling...up to 36 months of full time schooling (equals to a 4 year degree, with the summer months off). If you goto va.gov and click on the education link it will give you more info.

It is a good deal right now, I am using mine to finish my Bachelors in Environmental Science. Also the Post 9/11 GI Bill is transferable to dependents of the military member.

Source(s): SSgt USAF

Gl Bill Of Rights Definition

• ztim

The G.I. bill changes from time to time depending if the military needs to lure people into the service. It will pay for your college while you are in the military or when you get out. They will also guarantee a home loan if you want to buy a house. Check with a recruiter to get the up to date version.

Source(s): The Vietnam era version paid for my college and gave me an allowance to help live on.
  • Rob

The links posted will answer most of your questions but keep this in mind. Once he signs over his GI bill to you, he can never get it back. It's like he never had it so he won't be able to use it...ever.

Source(s): 23 years active duty Air Force...and counting; last 4 as a First Sergeant.
  • Jan

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awujF

It has passed the House and senate and now must be signed by Bush, who has shown reservation due to the fact that the Dems have tacked $50 in unempoymen benefits and pork projects to it. Most likely it will be signed into law soon though.

You have gotten good answers, but what everyone has forgotten to tell you is that until you get married, you are not his dependent and therefore cannot use any GI Bill benefit that is due him. Living with him does not count.

• Jennie

Sounds nice