Are these quotes really from Thomas Jefferson?

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe

Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.

Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson

Very Interesting Quote:

In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He never said the last one........

The Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia! In the Spurious Quotations category is a whole page debunking the Private Bank Quote – with citations!

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Pri...

This quotation is often cited as being in an 1802 letter to Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin, and/or "later published in The Debate Over the Recharter of the Bank Bill (1809)."

According to the Jefferson Encyclopedia, the quote’s first appearance was in 1937 in a United States Senate committee! And the Encyclopedia can’t find any record of any “Debate Over The Recharter Of The Bank Bill,” either.

Hmph. Senators, eh? I should’ve known the quote was the work of professional liars!

But in a statement Jefferson made in a letter to John Taylor in 1816. He wrote, "And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

This exact quotation has not been found in any of the writings of Thomas Jefferson either: "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

It bears a very vague resemblance to Jefferson's comment in a prospectus for his translation of Destutt de Tracy's Treatise on Political Economy: "To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, ‘the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, & the fruits acquired by it.'

Independent

A:~)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

If you intend to teach your youngster to learn this https://tr.im/sHWdH may be the easiest way, Children Learning Reading program.

Children Learning Reading is an understanding plan that tries to successfully teach children to learn in small, digestible 15 minute lessons. Children Learning Reading has a great reputation and is straightforward to use.

Children Learning Reading contains successful classes and examining games for children to make the learning process much simpler not merely for your youngster but also for you. The recommendations are simple to check out, and the topics are sensible and communicate the product well. If this technique worked for therefore many parents and children, then there's undoubtedly about any of it, it works for your children too!

• 1 decade ago

Some are and some are kind of grey. As in they can find no proof that he said or wrote these things.

http://www.jeffersonpapers.org/library/reference/s...

By the way, I didn't read all of the quotes you listed. They go around in emails a lot and I happened to have gotten one of these emails last week. I just tend to fact check anything that is mass emailed. Mass email=propaganda.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, those quotes are really from Thomas Jefferson.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JimG
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I can't say for certain that all of these quotes are from Jefferson. However, I am certain that each one is a warning that we are not paying attention to.

• 1 decade ago

i know this one is >>

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he was talking about the owners of america.....the rothschild family.

and we all know that america is just a colony is israel.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.