Why should I respect religion?

I respect peoples right to believe what they want, but I have no respect for what they believe.

Discuss.

@ Now Believe!

Why should people respect what YOU believe?

Eh? They shouldn't. Evenryone is a bit angry in here today.

@ OH YEAH!

No it doesn't. Read it again, then get an adult to explain it to you.

@ Suzanne F

I also support a political party but repect the right of others to follow another party. Voicing my disagreement about the policiesof an oposition party doesn't show disrespect to those that follow it. It is the same with religion. People can believe what they like, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they are stupifd for doing so.

@ Karen

Point one. Well that is not true. My favourite color is blue. I respect your right to have a different favourite color. This doesn't mean that I will accept that your favourite colour is "better" than mine. It is a personal choice whether you respect beliefs, and it is not necessary to do so to respect people.

@ Caleb Gosa

You are one fruity cookie!

@ ~ ♥ Freedom Writer ♥ ~

No, I don't believe in magic, or micacles, or nymphs, or angels, or imaginary friends, or miracles. I do believe in facts, though....

@ Lizy

Look it is simple. I won't try to stop you believeing what you like and would oppose any action, law or decree that would prevent people from exercising that right - Therefore, I respect peoples right to believe whatever they want - God(s), fairies, flying spag monster, dragons, elfs, etc etc. This doesn't mean that I have to respect the belief. I don't think that the idea of dragons living in caves breathing fire deserves any respect. It is (to my mind) simply not true. Tou can believe it if you wish....

@ Lizy again

AMERICA doesn't mean anything. It is (one of) the name(s) given to the 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean;

• Favorite Answer

King Pedant I.....May I say that "Religion" is a "Man Made" Process of Worship, to "Follow" a Religion is worthless. I don't care which religion it is either. Jesus Christ sees the Heart of each and every person and He also know the content there of. Having said that, do NOT put your trust in any "Religion", because it will fail miserably.

Jesus Christ on the other hand, has everything already lined up, to not only make you happy, but to fill your Eternal Life with Joy and happiness!! Most people don't understand that this Life here on earth is to make one simple decision, will you follow Jesus Christ or Not. After that decision is made (you get maybe 70 years to do so) and your life here ends, then your Eternal Life begins, the Life God originally wanted for us. But now, because of sin, you must choose WHERE you want to Live this Eternal Life. If you choose anything but Jesus Christ, you spend that Eternal Life, in Hell with satan and his demons. There is NO HOPE of anything with that decision!! If on the other hand you choose Eternal Life, then it can only be obtained through Jesus Christ. In Heaven there will be Blessings and Joy and Happiness, beyond your scope of understanding.

Source(s): I Pray the Lord richly Blesses you!!

if u don't respect what others believe keep it to your self

you have no right to offend others

bt let me show you something to believe in

THE QURAN

the QURAN is the only unedited book

the words of god

almost 70 % of whats there in quran has been proofed the rest is beyond human capability

consider some mathemathical facts of quran

the astonishing fact is that the

number of times the WORDS RERPEATS

word man appears in the Qur'an is 24 and number of times the word woman

appears is also 24

-Malaikat(angels) 88 ? Shaytan (satan) 88

-Life 145 ? Death 145

-Spending (sadaqah) 73 ? Satisfaction 73

-Muslimeen 41 ? Jihad 41

-Gold 8 ? Easy life 8

-Zakat (taxes Muslims pay for the poor) 32 ? Barakah (increasing or blessings of a wealth) 32

-Tongue 25? Sermon 25

-Hardship 114 ? Patience 114

-Man 24 ? Woman 24

And amazingly enough have a look how many times the following words appear:-

-Month 12

-Day 365

-Sea 32

-Land 13

-Sea + land = 32 + 13 = 45

- % sea = 32/45 * 100 % = 71.11111111

- % land= 13 / 45 * 100 % = 28.88888889 Therefore: % sea+ % land = 100.00

Modern Science has only recently proven that the water covers 71.111% of the earth, while the land covers 28.889 %.

Is this a coincidence?

peoples have hatred 4 Islam coz the media is always behind coruptin Islam

and probably due to sme misled terrorists who call them self Muslims

plz u may clear ur doubt wth this v short book iam linking u with just skim through the book

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10406993/The-Quran-Moder...

• Elle

You don't have to believe in what others believe in. All you have to do is agree to disagree with someone. You don't have to bash their religion or share your opinions about their religion unless they ask you for your views on it. What do you mean you don't respect what they believe? Then you don't respect their right to believe in what they do. Even people of the same religion have slightly different beliefs. Like sex before marriage and another is wearing a veil and covering from head to toe. Some people believe that parts of thier religion are dated and not feasable for them but they still believe in the other teachings and practices of that religion. Its like saying since you had a baby out of wedlock or since you don't take your butt church on sunday you can't call yourself a Catholic? Not true. Certain religions require prayer at certain times of day in certain directions which may not be feasable for everones lifestyle. Some religions say that you can't eat certain meats or certain meats on certain days. Some people don't follow that part. Some Jewish people eat non Kosher food. Some Catholic women have abortions. In America we have freedom of religion without persecution. People who believe in something are not stupid and are not hopeless. I believe in Jesus and I believe in God. I am a Christian but I do not preach Christianity. I will tell someone what I am and if they have questions I will speak further and discuss. If they have thier own religion and are happy with it they have that right. I know some people say christianity is not a religion but i think its a blanket that sort of covers Presbyterian, Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran. With a few variations. I am happy that I have faith and i do feel blessed. I think you are probably one of thse people that pick on Muslims and anyone from the middle east because you think they are all responsible for

9-11 and are all terrorists. When in fact you don't need to fear and judge them as if you just ask them most will tell you that they don't agree with what happend some are ashamed at what people from thier country have done. Its people like you who don't understand the meaning of AMERICA.

Source(s): I still think that if you don't respect what they believe then you really don't respect thier right to believe. you are contradicting yourself.

There are two reasons.

One- in your words, you cannot (logically speaking) respect somebody's right to believe without respecting what they believe.

Two- Man can do lots of things good and bad. it's always good that there is always someone constantly involved in your thoughts, a silent listener in your conversations, more importantly this person lovesyou to the same extent whatever you do, at the same time you will have to fear evil by fearing god which is very good. Whatever religion you are, believe in that one loving force working above you!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell are you talking about? Who told you that you "should" respect religion? I am a Christian and I don't even like religion (we won't go there). It's a man-made world wide conglomerate with a clever motive of making money for the "church", taken from people who can't even afford to feed their families. Also, I couldn't give a red crow's butt-dropping whether or not other people respect what I believe. I couldn't care less. It' MY life and what I choose to believe or not, is my business. People are fickle and cruel. I stay away from them as much as possible.

Respect is a show of decency over ones right to believe. It does not ask you to join him. why complicate matters by trying to argue.

It is an obvious sign of disrespect to call other who does not agree with you as a believer of something stupid.

Do not use the word if you do not know exactly how to use it.

All religions are houses of satan.

The Holy Bible in Acts 17:24 tells you that God does not live in them but being children of satan they say God put that to Luke OUT OF CONTEXT, their favorite LIE to twist it back on you.

They rather starve and kill 42,000 children everyday than to feed them with their money for food when they have been convinced they can buy their way into heaven by putting their money into a CRAFTED TEMPLE instead of God's SUFFERING CREATED TEMPLES.

Source(s): The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
  • Elana

It is not possible to respect somebody while making fun of something they truly believe.

If you can not make fun of it, but rather just ignore it, then sure. And you're pretty much where I am: I have yet to come across a main stream religion that wasn't in some way hillarious but generally I keep that to myself.

The way I figure it - I would imagine people think what I believe is pretty funny too...

if u respect what people want u should respect what they believe in (as long as they are not annoying u to try to convert to their religion, that does irritate me) if u want to question the matter scientifically then i recommend this site http://www.reasons.org/ its amazing the facts that are in here and yet people want to think other wise. i mean everyone is in their own right to believe or not but for those of u who are skeptic or just want some scientific explanation for certain things this site is amazing!

While it is your right to respect, or not respect, whatever you choose, I doubt religion really cares, one way or the other. As long as you keep your disrespect to yourself about someone's beliefs then it shows the respect you say you have for their "right to believe what they want" to be truthful. If, however, you bash people for their beliefs, well then, it shows your statement to be tacitly untrue.