Is it illegal to NOT rent a room to someone based on there gender?

We want to post an ad on craigslist about a room for rent at our house but we DO NOT want to rent it to a male because of the fact that there are 5 females in are house, 4 of them minors. The only male here is me(20) and my mom and sisters (8-14) according to the "FHA" it would be illegal to discriminate someone based on there gender... but f* ck that I care more about the safety of my family then that stupid law

Favorite Answer

It's not illegal. Fair Housing laws only apply to "innkeepers". You don't meet the definition of an "innkeeper" according to federal laws. A person renting a room to someone in their house can discriminate in any way they want. Craigslist is prohibited from displaying an ad based on a gender preference, but when they call or email you can tell them no.

Edit: Let me clarify. If you live in the house, and you rent to five people or less, then you're not considered an "innkeeper", and you can rent to anyone you want, and can deny rental to anyone you want, for any reason at all. Race, religion, gender, sexual orientation. Anything. You just can't advertise any restriction. Or, to put it more accurately, Craigslist can't legally post your advertisement.

Source(s): I took Fair Housing courses as a requirement to work in the apartment rental business.

Legally you CANNOT refuse to rent to someone because of his gender, sexual orientation, religion or race, but you can still say that you d prefere a female roomate because your 5 females there, thats Ok.

Just put female preferred which will cover your rear, then only rent it to a female.

Unless it varies from state to state, it's not illegal when it's your own home in regard to gender.

Just say 'females preferred'. I don't know what kind of man would want to flat with 5 woman anyway, the nagging, Oh god!

If there is a law preventing you refusing on gender refuse it for other reasons