HRT with a history of uterine cancer?

In January of this year, 2009, I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 32. I had this because I have had uterine cancer 3 times since age 21. My mother, aunt, grandmother, great aunts, and great grandmother all had this as well. I have had a grandmother have breast cancer and two great aunts on my mother's side died of breast cancer. I have been on the HRT patch since February. Every time I put this on, I know it will keep me from having symptoms of menopause, but I am worried about it's connection to cancer, especially breast cancer. Is it ok to use herbal remedies for menopausal symptoms and also take calcium for bone loss? I spoke with my doctor before my surgery about my concerns with HRT and he said there was new research out that stated there is less of a connection between HRT that is only estrogen based and cancer. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

I am 46 and am in treatment for estrogen positive breast cancer. I also had a hysterectomy at the same time as my lumpectomy due to fibroids. HRT is out for me for obvious reasons, as are bioidenticals and other plant-based estrogens. Black cohosh is estrogenic also, so it's out too. So be careful of herbal remedies and clear them with your oncologist first.

I would talk to your oncologist about being tested for the BRCA1 and 2 breast cancer genes given your family history of reproductive cancers including breast cancer. I too would be concerned about staying on HRT given your family history. I would also seek a second opinion to put your mind at ease. Menopause symptoms including hot flashes can be controlled with non-hormonal medications; for example, I am successfully taking neurontin for hot flashes (I only have a few a day now). There are also treatments for potential bone loss and heart disease that don't involve hormone therapies. And calcium supplements should be fine.

I would be discussing my concerns with my oncologist at my next regular check up and asking if there were any non-hormonal treatments they would recommend.

Having had hormonally receptive breast cancer and chemotherapy induced menopause, my oncologist recommended Evening Primrose Oil to help with my menopausal symptoms - it seemed to help.

Good luck.

you should be ok since you don't have a uterus . that's usually the problem w HRT and no hystrectomy. besides, you won't take/use it forever. read through kentonbruicemd.com he uses bioidentical hormones. I go to him. his website has alot of info on re menopause etc.

Source(s): nurse