Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

what does move the cheese mean?

My ex said "you know you have a habit of moving the cheese". I don't know what that means. His response was "think about it". What does it mean???

Favorite Answer

It's a reference to the book "Who Moved My Cheese?"

It's an allegorical story of two mice running in a maze in search of cheese. When they find a large supply, they move there. One mouse soon starts looking for the next large supply before the current one runs out; the other is content with what he has. Eventually the first mouse disappears one day, and soon thereafter the cheese runs out, leaving the mouse to wonder "Who moved my cheese?" He naturally suffers because he no longer has any cheese, nor knows where to find it.

It's supposed to remind people that they cannot rest on their laurels, but must constantly change and adapt.

In your case, the "cheese" is the target or goal that your ex (or your team or company) is trying to accomplish - the finished project. By "moving the cheese", you are constatnly changing what it means to be "finished", changing the rules of the game, thus making it harder for everyone around you to get the task done, or to reach some sort of satisfaction.

õ¿õ¬

Who Moved The Cheese

It's from the book of the same name. Cheese is defined as whatever motivates you to be happy in life--- it can be a loved one, money, fame, job-security (it's different for every person). When you become stale in your life or feel stuck in a rut, it's as if you can't find your motivation anymore (cheese). It's a very short book and if you get a chance, I'd higly recommend reading it.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does move the cheese mean?

Source(s): move cheese mean: https://shortly.im/xLD9W

Was curious on the answer too

Not quite sure how to answer this

lol "cut the cheese" means fart. but idk what "move the cheese" means?

good luck, lol