Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

A history question of opinion?

Who are the five greatest people of all time?

Favorite Answer

Well, I find it an impossibility to ever state the greatest anyone or anything of all time as that suggests there will never be anyone or anything that can be added in the future. It's the use of all time or ever that gets me on such questions, I always feel that the question should be up to the present, never of all time or ever as, like I've already stated, that no one or no thing in the future could be better.

That said, I can say who I think the top five up to this year are. In no particular order:

Leonardo da Vinci - artist and inventor among other things. We're today learning just how truely advanced he really was as we figure out how to overcome his own purposeful sabotage to his designs (he lived when there were no copyrights so he purposefully sabotaged the designs on paper so no one else could produce them before him and claim they thought of them first). He truely was a man ahead of his time.

Mahatma Gahndi - Indian political and spiritual leader. While I may never follow his example, I do have to admire him for his use of non-violence during India's bid for Independence.

Richard Kirkland - the Angel of Marye's Heights. During the Battle of Fredericksburg Kirkland gave aid and comfort to wounded enemy soldiers at great risk to his own life by going over the wall to give water to the wounded without being allowed to show a white flag, and he did it so often that the enemy refused to fire on him. In fact both sides cheered his bravery and compassion.

Sostratus of Cnidus - Greek architect and engineer. Said to have designed the Pharos of Alexandria, the lighthouse which made the list of Seven Wonders of the World (now the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World). The Pharos (which is also known as the Lighthouse of Alexandria) is said to have been one of the earliest lighthouses, perhaps even the first. Though undoubtedly others would have designed lighthouses if he didn't, Sostratus certainly deserves credit for this one. And lets face it, for centuries since the Pharos was originally built lighthouses have served as aides to maritime travel, both warning of danger and serving as navigation markers. Even with GPS today lighthouses can still be useful to modern mariners in both capacities.

The person who invented the spear - This is the only person I make an exception to on that greatest of all time as I personally say they'll always be on the list. And always at the top. In prehistoric times folks had to have first discovered that a broken stick with a particulary sharp end could serve as a better means of hunting than a stone or a club. But it's the person who first realized they could sharpen a stick so they didn't have to look for a particular break who really desrves to be on the list. They started trechnology, first by using a sharp edged rock to sharpen the stick which lead to someone deliberately flaking a rock for use in sharpening a stick into a spear. All this lead to developing stone and bone spear points, then the atalatl to increase the range of a thrown spear, then to the bow and arrow for even greater and more accurate range. Folks kept looking to expand and improve on pre-exsisting technology, like the spear leading to the development of the knife and ax cause someone realized these flaked stones could be used for more than making spears. Even today exsisting technology leads to new technology. And it can all be traced back to the spear.

Alexander the Great

Emperor Augustus

Edward Jenner

Winston Churchill

Alexander Fleming

1. Alexander the Great conquered the known world.

2. Julius Caesar controlled it under one authority.

3. Queen Elizabeth I protected the most advanced and powerful civilization of the period from what seemed inevitable invasion.

4. Charles Darwin founded aspects of modern natural science that would otherwise have been suppressed by the church.

5. Mahatma Gandhi reminded us that we are dealing with compassionate and mortal human beings.

1.king james of scotland

2.winston

3.napoleon

4.mousulinni(not sure if thats the correct spelling, but because of his stupitidy, hitler lost in russia)

5. george washington(well any of the founding fathers would do)

theres too many great people in history, cant narrow it down to the great 5.

exciting doesnt mean no longer long... Eygpt has an quite long one, yet immovable, and since the VIII cent bc it particularly is a secondary us of a, As historic civilization i might say Greece, from Italy to Anatolia and since the takeover of Creta to Pirrus, althought they have been by no skill a rustic Then Phoenician-Carthaginian, all of us know little or no approximately them by way of a observe curse , yet perhaps they have been in China and us of a of america. unquestionably i think of Italy, on account that unification below Rome in the IV-III cent, to mussolini and berlusconi for the period of the papacy England, on account that Stonehenge to the empire for the period of the unique Breton-Latin-German Anglo civilization China, in simple terms approximately as historic as Egypt, became by no skill as motionless, splits and unifications, innovations, Gengis Khan, large wealth and bigger poverty, unusual colonialism and revolutions, after 4000 years we are in the previous the comparable China Then shall we are saying that us of a have not historic previous, yet they began from Pochaontas no longer from Washington, then the conquest of a continent, the combat for their freedom and against that of others, a procedures west and civil conflict, studying marketplace and quickly after coach it, the bomb and the gap, the bulb and the pc, the U.S. did in 350 years what others have accomplished in 3000

I think the inventors were the real geniuses. The first one to invent the sewers was one.

There are the great ones remembered down in history.

http://www.priceofliberty.com/greatestp.htm

• AFGHAN

1- Mohammad (PBUH)

2- Jesus (PBUH)

3- Isaac Newton

4- Edison

5- Me

• Stuie

absolutely, they must be a matter of opinion, unless i'm on the list. don't hate me because i'm great. i'm sure your own opinion will do just fine.

1.Me

2.Myself

3.I

4. Yours Truly

5. The bloke who invented ritz crackers