Can someone please correct these grammatical mistakes?

26. Promotion within the company is based on creativity, people skills and to work long hours.

27. The fishing pier is 3/8 of a mile long.

28. Both Jet Blue as well as Southeast Air are repositioning themselves in the market.

29. This one media is rather inexpensive.

30. We got ours and they got there’s.

31. Don’t you think its time we had a governor with management experience?

32. USF St. Petersburg now has several 1,000 students.

33. Under the new policy, each employee is to meet with his supervisor once each month.

34. The chairman overruled Ms. Smith’s motion to adjourn.

35. Monty, Mil and John were all involved in the accident; he plans to return to work next week.

36. While lumbering down the street, the alligator was seen by many people.

37. The many alligators and the clouds of biting flies is a good reason to stay

indoors.

38. You must file your expense bimonthly, that is, every two weeks.

39. The single criteria for success in this industry is ability.

40. Ivan is in charge of our web site, while Maria designs our print materials.

41. The person who came up with the clever idea was me myself.

42. In a fit of peak, she threw the evaluation form on the floor and stormed out of the room.

43. Sales associates, floor managers and the people who clean the place up at night should all attend this meeting.

44. The responsibility was given to Gina and I.

45. As a matter of principal you should spend only the interest you earn, and not a penny of your principle.

46. He had to be deaf as a stone to not hear the announcement.

47. Wilhemina was past over for promotion.

48. You should find this product easily utilizable because each and every test we have conducted with this product has shown that the basic essentials of how to operate the product are readily understood.

49. Who’s idea was it?

50. If your outgo exceeds your income, your in trouble.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Tom L
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

26. Promotion within the company is based on creativity, people skills and WORKING long hours.

27. The fishing pier is THREE-EIGHTHS of a mile long.

28. Two choices here:

A. Jet Blue, as well as Southeast Air, is repositioning itself in the market.

B. Both Jet Blue and Southeast Air are repositioning themselves in the market.

29. This one MEDIUM is rather inexpensive.

30. We got ours and they got THEIRS.

31. Don’t you think IT'S time we had a governor with management experience?

32. USF St. Petersburg now has several THOUSAND students.

33. Under the new policy, each employee is to meet with his supervisor once each month.

Correct as written. No change needed. Probably not politcally correct.

34. The chairman overruled Ms. Smith’s motion to adjourn.

Correct as written. No change needed. Probably not politically correct.

35. Monty, Mil and John were all involved in the accident; he plans to return to work next week.

Without knowing the intent, no way to be sure. Change 'he plans' to 'they plan' works, or change 'he' to 'Monty' or 'Mil' or 'John', assuming those are all males.

36. While IT WAS lumbering down the street, the alligator was seen by many people.

37. The many alligators and the clouds of biting flies ARE GOOD REASONS to stay indoors.

38. Again, without knowing intent, it's impossible to say what should be changed. 'Bimonthly' is a poor word to use, since it means two different things - every two months or twice a month. It does not mean every two weeks.

39. The single CRITERION for success in this industry is ability.

40. Ivan is in charge of our web site AND Maria designs our print materials.

41. The person who came up with the clever idea was me myself. Technically: The person who came up with the clever idea was I. Better: I was the person who came up with the clever idea,

42. In a fit of PIQUE, she threw the evaluation form on the floor and stormed out of the room.

43. Sales associates, floor managers and the people who clean the place up at night should all attend this meeting. OK as is.

44. The responsibility was given to Gina and ME.

45. As a matter of PRINCIPLE you should spend only the interest you earn, and not a penny of your PRINCIPAL.

46. He had to be deaf as a stone to not hear the announcement. OK as is - although some pedant will do a 'split infinitive' gotcha.

47. Wilhemina was PASSED over for promotion.

48. You should find this product easily utilizable because each and every test we have conducted with this product has shown that the basic essentials of how to operate the product are readily understood.

Not he world's best sentence, but no quibble with the grammar.

49. WHOSE idea was it?

50. If your outgo exceeds your income, YOU'RE in trouble.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.