Whats the best way to tackle/deal with RACISM?

Its 2009, and in Phila suburbs yesterday a private swimming pool disallowed a few colored kids.

I know how many people are racists: believe that people are different, but polished enough that you dont see what they actually think.

ALL SMILES out...

But inwardly resent and harbor the worst thoughts believable.

Please help me in figuring whats the best way to deal with this hatred/racism/incongruence.

If I wanted my kids to be happy, should I ONLY go to "my hoods" ??

---GO to maybe centre city/somewhere in city where there is diversity??

---avoid homogenous neighborhoods??

And btw, what DO YOU DO IF YOU FEEL LIKE A STORE CLERK IS FOLLOWING YOU, WHILE YOURE SHOPPING AT A SUPERMARKET.

SUBCONSCIOUSLY WHEN IM IN THE MOOD TO SHOP:: READ THIS: I FIND MYSELF HEADED OUT TO A DIVERSE AREA: NOT SOME HOMOGENOUS NEIGHBORHOOD WITH ATTITUDES THAT MAKE YOUR SKIN CRAWL AND YOU FEEL LIKE BEATING UP THE STORE CLERKS??

TELL ME HOW TO REACT?

I DONT WANT TO CREATE A SCENE LIKE IM HURT BY HER FOLLOWING ME BECAUSE IM NOT FROM HER NEIGHBORHOOD.!!

IS THIS 2009?

Favorite Answer

Don't be getting upset. In all races there are good people too. I just focus on good people.

Yes I get watched and followed around, it used to really annoy me, but now that I am so much older and seen such a lot, I have come to understand myself and my reason for waking each day. It is not so someone can ruin my peace of mind, because I don't fit into what they like or don't like.

Leave things like that, don't dwell on them and enjoy your genuine friends from all walks of life and backgrounds.

Exercise patience, honestly it is not worth even thinking of negative things that will spoil your day.

There are so many beautiful good people around.

Walk on by and get on with having a productive life. Don't permit negativeness to steal your time.

One Love.

As for shopping I shop anywhere I want. When they begin to follow me I ask them if there is something I can help them with. My grandmother would do it and it works. They're caught off guard and leave you alone. You can also complain to the corporate office. Money is money and they hate to lose it no matter who it comes from. As I have gotten older I say that I will no longer let the feelings of racists affect the things I want to do. Why should it, I have done nothing wrong. If they want to walk around with hate in their heart let them. I plan on living a long healthy life and theirs will surely be shortened.

Some don't think the club was trying to be racist but representatives of the club were quoted to say that some thought the kids "would change the complexion...atmosphere of the club." And one of the women in the pool area said "what are these black kids doing here?" Doen't that tell you right there the reason behind this.

Edit: no Loose wheel they should have been excepted into the pool because they had previously paid $1,900 for it. When the members found out they were black kids it became a problem. I guess you think that's acceptable behavior.

I prefer diverse areas. It could be majority white as long as it's no bigger than 60% white. I feel more comfortable in that situation. The hood is not the best place to raise your kids and high white percentage areas do have more racism. Your kids will experience more racism in a homogeneous area and it's not good for your child's self esteem or social skills even though they might be better educated. Now, If you put your kid in a private school in a diverse town the education will be just as good if not better.

I wish I had went to a more diverse school and I will never put my kids in an all white school. I grew up to be very angry at white people because of the racism I've experience and I don't think I would have experienced as much in a diverse area. I would have had more confidence and better social skills. Now every time I see white people I clam up and become the bitter angry black person but when I went to college I finally experienced what white people are like in more diverse towns and the racist experiences are much less if even existent.

I prefer diverse areas as well. I don't know how you react to racism, but when it happens to me, I just look down my nose at the person and treat them like the fool they are. This really pisses them off, because they slowly realize they can't hurt you with their nasty words, and shows their lack of home training. If you feel that a store clerk is following you and hasn't asked you if they can help you, ask them if you can help them, lol.

Edit - Do you have the article about the pool incident? I know that in my community, if you don't live there, or are a guest of someone who does, you cannot use the pool. It is strictly for the residents of the community. After all we are the ones who pay the taxes and associations fees, and wanted it that way.

Do you think these children should have been permitted to use a private pool because they were black? Yes, unfortunately in 2009 this is exactly what most people think. Exceptions must always be made for non whites. To do otherwise would be 'racist'.

In my city we have a recreation center and a 'black' recreation center. Everyone is allowed to use the first one. Only blacks or invited non blacks can use the second one. It isn't official, but still strictly enforced nevertheless. In 2009.

To one of the posters below: If they paid for the privilege that's different. But that wasn't pointed out in the question or details. Still, it's considered more heinous than discrimination against whites, when it should be the same for everyone.

when i was young i worked at walmart in the men's department. the manager would say make sure you watch the blacks. wtf? so i should ignore it when i see a white person stealing? i couldn't believe he would say something like that.

just ignore them, that's the only advice i can give. ppl expect blacks to be thieves and no matter what you do or say will not change a closed ignorant mind.

You are asking us to assume your premise that it was racism is correct but we don't have all the facts. Maybe those kids were turned away for reason completely seperated from race- maybe not- but we don't know that because we weren't there.

I find that people who WANT and NEED others to be racist in order to feel the victim will find racism even where it is not.

you must lead a wretched life.

• RACISM FTW