Chingy asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

keep? maintain? ......

Q: If you want to ____ your subscription to this website, you must log in at least every three months.

(A) keep (B) maintain

The answer is "B"

However, I consider A to be sensible to the question above because I checked up the definitions for the two words and found that they are similar in this way.

keep(look at the definition 4) >>http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/keep_1

maintain(look at the definition)>>http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/maintain

Thank you all for your opinions. I still consider the two words are similar in this respect. ㄚ賢同學's explaination makes some sense to me.

Personally, if we are not arguing about the detail, we may be welcome to the two words in this regard.

For now, I am waiting for more people's opinions til the deadline.

Rating
    Favorite Answer

I just check up my dictionary, and I think the difference depends on whether you have self-conscious on controlling things.

Keep: You have rights to take it or drop it. Whatever and Whenever you want.

Maintain: You have certain right to drop it. But it would be impossible or very difficult to take it again. It's easy to lose.

Correct me if there is anything wrong. Thanks!

我對174大大的解譯有點疑慮

keep 它有持續在做某事的意思,記得動作是持續的

例如:

Keep your room tidy. 保持你的房間整齊

這個保持整齊的動作是持續進行的嗎? 還是讓事情保持在同樣的狀態、標準, 也就是 maintain 的意思咧?

2009-07-10 11:45:37 補充:

I agree with this "they are similar in this way". I see no differences between keep and maintain in this particular sentence. The same meaning of this sentence is conveyed.

題目是說如果你想要維持在這個網站的身分,你必須至少每三個月登陸一次。

這邊"維持"這個動作,並不是一直在做,而是一個狀態的維持

以下是兩個字的解釋,希望可以讓你更明白

keep

to stay in a particular state, condition, or position, or to make someone or something do this

它有持續在做某事的意思,記得動作是持續的

例如:

I am struggling to keep awake. 我努力的保持清醒

Keep your room tidy. 保持你的房間整齊

maintain

to make something continue in the same way or at the same standard as before

讓事情保持在同樣的狀態、標準

例如:

The hotel prides itself on maintaining high standards.

飯店為他本身維持高水準而驕傲。

Britain wants to maintain its position as a world power.

英國想要維持它世界強權的地位。

Source(s): myself