Will a 400 watt power supply be enough?

I just bought a EVGA GeForce 9800 GT for my PC and, of course, my power supply isn't big enough to run it. (Just a black screen when I power up my computer) I am currently using a 8500 GT and a Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor with a DVD-ROM drive and 2 hard drives and am running it fine on a 300 watt power supply. I'm a 17 year old on a tight budget and I don't want to spend more than I have to, so my question is: will upgrading to a 400 watt power supply be enough to run this videocard? And I am also planning on buying a Core 2 Duo E6420 processor within the month, will it be good enough to accommodate that too? And if not, what would?

• Din
    Best Answer

I doubt it. The 9800GT will be pulling as much as 125 watts all by itself. You'll probably want at least a 500 watt, maybe even a 600 watt. Given that the price difference is usually pretty minimal between them go for more wattage and err on the side of caution. Besides that, if you expect to do any more upgrades you'll have to allow for any future power needs. Getting more now will save you another PSU upgrade should you decide to add something else. A bigger one now is always cheaper than a smaller one now and a bigger one later.

A power supply is most efficient when run at 50% of its capacity. The second most efficient load is around 70%. A higher load works the power supply harder and dramatically shortens its operational lifespan. Your 300 watt power supply is probably being pushed to its limits. I wouldn't expect it to last you much longer.

And don't go cheap just to save a few bucks. Good brands give you a better product, one that will last you longer and protect your other hardware in the event of a catastrophic failure. I've seen plenty of motherboards fried by cheap power supplies failing. Antec, Codegen, Corsair, OCZ, Thermaltake, BFG, and Rosewill are some good brands.

• fadri

400 Watt Power Supply

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Will a 400 watt power supply be enough?

I just bought a EVGA GeForce 9800 GT for my PC and, of course, my power supply isn't big enough to run it. (Just a black screen when I power up my computer) I am currently using a 8500 GT and a Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor with a DVD-ROM drive and 2 hard drives and am running it fine on a 300...

Source(s): 400 watt power supply enough: https://tr.im/BvR0m

I also suggest a 500 watt. 500 watts is enough for most things. My computer uses 850 since my graphics card is the GTX 295. neither the 400 watt nor the 500 watt will give you much expansion room to upgrade. Go with the 500 watt you can easily find these less than 80 dollars at frys. Try to find one with 80 plus certification. Also look at the suggested wattage on the box. contact me for info

Source(s): geeksiteguys.blogspot.com -i build computers

You will be upgrading more than your CPU if you are upgrading from a P4 to a core 2 duo. you will be replacing your motherboard and probably your cpu cooler fans as well (assuming your current RAM is compatible with your new motherboard). Check the wattage rating of the E6420 chip and the motherboard. With 2 HDD drives and a DVD-rom I suspect 400 watts is pushing it. You will certainly need more wattage if you upgrade to a DVD burner since they pull more power than the DVD-ROM drives. (BTW I don't think the E6420 is a low voltage chip)

I imagine a 500w power supply should be fine, unless you plan on adding a second optical drive.

Beware if you have many bus powered USB devices, they will bleed off your wattage as well. You might consider using an externally powered USB hub to conserve power.

I would not run anything using a 9800 other than a PC Power and Cooling power supply. That is a lot of video card and you need a good power supply to run it. Sorry but you should have known that when you got that card and that is you will need a top notch power supply.

• founck

Don't cheap out on your power supply. The difference in cost between a 400w and 500w power supply is not very much. And if a 400w isn't enough you're going to lose money shipping that thing back.

Check this one out. It's 500w from a good manufacturer, and $40 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

i have a 450 watt and a nice video card and ram, it runs perfect never had any random shut downs. my computer is also a 3.2 ghz dual core which requires a lot more than most dual cores because of its high speeds. 400 watt should be fine though.

Yes 400W should be ok , but maybe not great if overclocking etc. My question why such a big drive for a sole storage? You never know what could happen, so I hope you back up? I would have put 4 X 250 GB drives in a RAID configuration, for speed.

Yep, that's enough power supply.