Must sell our house for less than what is owed on our mortgage - how do we pay off the rest of it?

So say we owe $93,000 on our mortgage. We want to sell the crappy house and move out of state. However, the house's value is closer to $75,000 to $80,000 (that's what plenty of houses in the area are going for that are similar or BETTER than our house). So say we sell it to someone for $80,000. How do... show more So say we owe $93,000 on our mortgage. We want to sell the crappy house and move out of state. However, the house's value is closer to $75,000 to $80,000 (that's what plenty of houses in the area are going for that are similar or BETTER than our house).

So say we sell it to someone for $80,000. How do we pay off that other $13,000 on the mortgage? Does the bank want it RIGHT AWAY? Do we have to get approved for another loan for the $13,000 so we can pay the bank off right away? Or can we still make payments to the bank for the $13,000 on the original mortgage loan after we sell the house?

If we have to take out a loan for the $13,000, will we be able to get a mortgage loan for the house we want to buy in another state when we still have that $13,000 debt on our credit report (assuming good credit)?

Or will we need to get a loan for that $13,000, pay it off while living in an apartment for awhile, and then after its paid off try to get approval to buy a house where we want?

I just really don't know how this all works. But I do know that there is no way in hell our house is going to sell for the $93,000 we owe on the mortgage. It's been on the market at that price since September and we've only had one offer. It was for $70,000 and my hubby wasn't interested in taking that big of a loss. He'd rather wait it out longer which is what we've been doing.
4 answers 4