Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Do you think the United States Spends too much money on Military?

I'm Irish and the U.S spent $651,163,000,000 last year on Military alone.

And WTF the whole of Ireland only has €300,000,000,000 roughly.

The whole EU only spent less than half the U.S last year too.

Your thoughts..............

Death to Bumba I agree the U.N does F**k all.

Iraq is costing you $200,000,000,000 a year too. What good did that do?

Hey Ireland ranks as probably the Freest country on the planet and we don't spend that much on Military.

Yo Gentle Giant 2 How did the Us save Europe from Stalin..what did you do at all.

SFC_Ollie look up on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indices_of_fr... and you will se Ireland ranks well ahead of the United States.

Ollie when Freedom is threatened we will look to ourselves as we did in 1916 and 1920 when the British owned a quarter of the Earth and was more powerful than the United States is now.

$$$ + U.S Army = Nice Weapons

Ollie it is a total right-wing America propaganda Article and you still say something as monumentally thick as that.

Wikipedia is just quoting Freedom House which happens to be an American Organization Ollie. You are so Stupid!

Favorite Answer

I think it spends too much money on the UN. We give them a s*** load more than anyone else and what happens... nothing, the UN is worthless. We should cut major funding to the UN before we cut it for our own military

I do believe that like a third of the DOD budget is going to vets and retirees. Folks who are basically civilians now living on pension or benefits. Like me.

We do see a lot of spin-off technology coming from the military-complex. Jets, Radar, microwave ovens, GPS, sonar, radiation medicine, PCs.

And we spend a great deal of money in foreign nations supporting their economies. I am not saying that we should, but that we do. And that money is not accounted as foreign aid, rather as DOD budget. We maintain over 150 bases overseas, including bases in the UK. Every one of those bases is leased, we pay the host nation for them to be there, and we pay those local economies for support personnel, water, sewage, electricity, etc.

I was stationed on various subs homeported in Scotland for 8 years of my career. I owned a home there, my children attended school there. We had thousands of GIs living there, and many millions of pounds were spent on the local economy there every month.

Jeez, lot of idiots out today... :P

The US spends a lot on military advisors and vehicles, not on the actual military. Believe me-- I was raised by 2 USN sailors and am married to one now. I grew up in the Navy-- we don't see any of this millions of dollars. This week, my husband had to go buy a new gasmask bag. The one they issued was so old and frayed, and didn't fit worth a damn. This is how it often is. Ask any military man what he has paid out of pocket to replace or supplement inadequate gear (for their own safety!), uniforms, or screwed up pay. The average enlised soldier earns barely above minimum wage. Trust me- they don't see these millions. Look at their outdated armor and weaponry. Tactical nightmares! The US doesn't spend $$$ on it's military=- they spend it on research for future weapons (a waste of time at the moment when the guys need gear NOW), and vehicles such as ships and jets. But they sure as hell dont' spend it on the guys...

Source(s): Born into the navy, Married into the Navy...

Let us know when Ireland , or the EU, start to defend the world against aggression. As long as the EU will not spend money on self defense the US has to.

Have you ever heard of a guy named Hitler?

How about Stalin?

The US spent a bundle to defend Europe then too.

I doubt Ireland is that free. But the USA and her military has kept more people free than you can count to in your lifetime. If we were to weaken our military then who would the world call when freedom is threatened?

LOL Your link says that the USA does not have full freedom of the press...LOL forget it...LOL..That's funny...LOL..Oh I can't stop LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

No one has ever been as powerful as the USA is today.

And do try to use other sources than Wikipedia, almost any fool can write their articles.

SFC

US Army

Retired

We are spending less on the military now than we did previously. During World War II, it was 38 percent of our GDP; during Korea, 14 percent; Vietnam, 9.5 percent; during the Reagan buildup, 6.2 percent.

Nowadays, we spend around 3.3% of our GDP. Therefore, we are spending less than we did during the Kennedy, Johnson, or even Reagan administrations.

Yes. But Obama plans an 8% increase in military spending. Well played mister "we can't be the world police" and "fiscal responsibility"

Nope they should spend more and have more people in the military i am tired of hearing that we are streached too thin

I enjoy my freedom and that costs money, just my thoughts.

nooooooooooo we need to be powerful and i will always support the military