Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

People who do: Why do you think that the United States of America is a Christian nation?

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." Treaty of Tripoly, article 11 - John Adams, Founding Father, 2nd President of the United States of America

Here are some quotes from the founding fathers:

John Adams, Founding Father and the Second President of the United States of America - Unitarian who denied 'Jesus' as anything more than a teacher.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

"Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose. Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it."

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?

"What havoc has been made of books through every century of the Christian era? Where are fifty gospels condemned as spurious by the bull of Pope Gelasius? Where are forty wagon-loads of Hebrew manuscripts burned in France, by order of another pope, because of suspected heresy? Remember the Index Expurgato-rius, the Inquisition, the stake, the axe, the halter, and the guillotine; and, oh! horrible, the rack! This is as bad, if not worse, than a slow fire. Nor should the Lion's Mouth be forgotten. Have you considered that system of holy lies and pious frauds that has raged and triumphed for 1,500 years." letter to John Taylor, 1814, quoted in In God We Trust and 2000 Years of Disbelief

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles." letter to Thomas Jefferson, June 20, 1815

"God is an essence that we know nothing of. Until this awful blasphemy is got rid of, there never will be any liberal science in the world." 'this awful blashpemy' that he refers to is the myth of the Incarnation of Christ, from Ira D. Cardi

"It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service [formation of the American governments] had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven..."

James Madison - Founding Father and fourth President of the United States of America and viewed as the Father of the Constitution - Said to be Episcopal, though he clearly disliked Christianity. I assume he was a deist of sorts:

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution."

"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people."

"...the number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people, have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the State" Letter to Robert Walsh, Mar. 2, 1819

"Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together" Letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Thomas Jefferson - Third President of the United States of America - Deist with agnostic tendencies.

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." 1787 letter to his nephew

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies."

"To talk of immaterial existences is to talk of nothings. To say that the human soul, angels, God, are immaterial, is to say they are nothings, or that there is no God, no angels, no soul. I cannot reason otherwise: but I believe I am supported in my creed of materialism by Locke, Tracy, and Stewart. At what age of the Christian church this heresy of immaterialism, this masked atheism, crept in, I do not know. But a heresy it certainly is. Jesus told us indeed that 'God is a spirit,' but he has not defined what a spirit is, nor said that it is not matter. And the ancient fathers generally, if not universally, held it to be matter: light and thin indeed, an etherial gas; but still matter." letter to John Adams, August 15, 1820

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites." Not

Update:

It got cut off. Notes on Virginia

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes" Letter to von Humboldt, 1813

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

Update 2:

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" Letter to H. Spafford, 1814

"But a short time elapsed after the death of the great reformer of the Jewish religion, before his principles were departed from by those who professed to be his special servants, and perverted into an engine for enslaving mankind, and aggrandizing their oppressors in Church and State." in a letter to S. Kercheval, 1810

"...an amendment was proposed by inserting the words, 'Jesus Christ...the holy author of our religion,' which was rejected 'By a great majority in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and the Mohammedan, the Hindoo[sic] and the Infidel of every denomination.'" From Jefferson's biography

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."

Update 3:

"The authors of the gospels were unlettered and ignorant men and the teachings of Jesus have come to us mutilated, misstated and unintelligible."

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God."

"It is not to be understood that I am with him [Jesus] in all his doctrines. I am a Materialist."

Update 4:

Benjamin Franklin-Politician who played a big part in the American Revolution-Deist

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Poor Richard's Almanack, 1758

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

"He (the Rev. Mr. Whitefield) used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard." Franklin's Autobiography

"In the affairs of the world, men are saved, not by faith, but by the want of it."

"Some volumes against Deism fell into my hands. They were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's Lecture. It happened that they produced on me an effect precisely the reverse of what was intended by the writers; for the arguments of the Deists, which were cited in order to be refuted, appealed to me much more forcibly than the refutation itself. In a word, I soon became a thorough Deist."

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies"

Update 5:

George Washington - First President of the United States of America, Founding Father, and General in the American Revolution - Assumed to be Episcopal, but that could be wrong, as he never took communion, and left when communion was being done until, after being admonished by a rector, he ceased attending at all on communion Sundays.

"Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their [not our?] religious fights would not endanger the peace of Society."

Update 6:

How can you say that the United States of America is a Christian nation, when it is specifically stated that it isn't? The Founding Fathers knew exactly what harm religion (specifically Christianity) could do to a country and it's people. They created the United states to be a secular nation where religion has no place in the government. Separation of Church and State was what they were going for. A nation free of both religious indoctrination, and religious oppression.

Update 7:

There, that's my full post.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Christians rewrite history to make events suit their own notions. Here is a current example of revisionist history, to be put on their bookshelves next to the creationist books.

• 1 decade ago

Demographic data does not tell you what religion a nation should respect.

By that logic, America is a christian nation of males over age 25. Does anyone think those are the only people who should have a say in our government?

This nation was formed by agnostics, atheists, and deists.

The treaty of tripoly the asker talks about was ratified UNANIMOUSLY. This has happened 3 times in the history of the United States, and it was ratified in 1797, so many of the people who voted for it were the founders of the country.

Saying this is a christian nation is just lying to yourself. No nation should make any law pertaining to religion. We base our laws on life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Unless an expression of these rights violates the rights of another person, there should be no law against that expression.

I'm an atheist, but I would not want an atheist president. I want an agnostic. A person who never says a word about religion and only cares about shaping our country in the way it was outlined to be when it was created.

Edit: "In god we trust" was added to coins in the late 19th century. It was added to paper money in the 50s. We did not found this nation on god. The "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance was added in the 50s as well as a way to further distance ourselves from communists.

• 1 decade ago

This is a simple one. Though the life of Jesus took place in and around Jerusalem, the earliest concept of Christ being incorporated into

a religion took place in and around the environs of Rome. The Roman Catholic faith is the basis of all Christian denominations. Christianity, as a faith, didn't appear in the middle east until much later.

In time, Catholicism and its various offshoot denominations became the major religions in Europe. If one accepts this fact, then you only have to look as far as to who colonized North and South America to figure out why the Americas are Christian in religious orientation.

• rac
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

An impressive body of quotes to be sure. Be that as it may, the United States of America is, and always has been, a Christian nation, founded upon Christian principles. We do not express those morals, customs, values and laws as being anchored in the Ten Commandments of Israel or in the great laws of Christ, but they are identical with each other because they are basic to all orderly and peaceful societies.

Furthermore, Christ stated himself that this land was founded by men whom He raised up for this very purpose and that the constitution was an inspired document for the establishment of this free land.

The purpose of the founding of this free land was so that the restoration of the full gospel of Christ could come forth among a free people who could choose their own form of worship. Thus, Christ prepared this land for that purpose. We maintain a separation of church and state for that is the best way to insure that no side takes dominion over the other. Government should not control the church and the church should not control the government.

Finally, our founders preceded the restoration of the true church so they, being astute individuals, recognized that the state of organized religion in their day was corrupt and not in line with the truth. Jefferson also stated that he yearned for the day when truth would be returned to the earth. They recognized that it was not here and they set up a system allowing the truth to be returned. In so doing, they served the Lord by inspiration without consciously knowing it.

Source(s): LDS perspective.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I can't believe these people! Those quotes are in black and white and they still say they were Christian!

That one atheist even believes it!

What miss answer kitteh posted is disturbing. I hope that guy is called on his stupidity.

BTW, whoever said 'In the Lord We Trust'...that's not the exact phrase used and it wasn't originally a part of our currency. It was forced onto ALL currency in the 50s-same time as the 'under God' phrase was FORCED into our pledge.

You Christians whine about how 'we're' trying to take God out of the country...obviously, he was never supposed to be there in the first place!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its right wing christian conservative propoganda that is making its way into the American psyche that the USA is founded on the 10 commandments.

The American system is based on British common law which in turn is based on Roman & pagan law.

But don't tell anyone that cause you'd be accused of being "unAmerican."

• 1 decade ago

I don't think we should describe countries as Christian or non-Christian.

Reasons:

- Christianity transcends nationality.

- Is everyone a Christian in a Christian country? Probably not.

- Does the Christian country only have laws based on Christianity? Probably not.

- I believe in freedom of religion. There would not be freedom of religion in a Christian country.

Can you name one country that is truly Christian (not counting Vatican City)?

With love in Christ.

• Matt
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

It's a christian nation because it was founded on freedom of/from religion and most people that were coming over were christians (as was most of the anglo saxon world). Here's some quotes for you:

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites." - Thomas Jefferson

"Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their [not our?] religious fights would not endanger the peace of Society." - George Washington

Source(s): Atheist Philosopher
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because it is the predominate religion at this point in time and since it's founding. You may claim that it is the most violent, vile, and heinous religion of all time but that does not take from the fact that the majority of our people now and since it's founding were christians. It seems to me that you see one side of the coin but not the other. You have made up your mind that you can't stand christians and want to see that all people should see it your way based on other atheists and or non believers quotes and opinions. What about the good that has been done by christians, jews, and muslims?

Source(s): Common sense and the ability to see through a key hole with one eye and not both at the same time
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because the Christians control everything. It is an unwritten requirement to become an elected official in the US of A that you have to be a Christian, or at least not talk about religion at all in any small way that could offend it, because we have something called religious freedom here in America which means you have to be religious or be ostracized.

Source(s): Atheist
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.