Dawn W
Dawn W asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

I am craving tomatoes, what could my body need?

Seriously for about a week I have been craving and eating lots of tomatoes. The strangest thing is that I have never liked them before, but now they are all I want to eat. I do not have food cravings normally. I would very much doubt that I am lacking vitamin C. Pregnancy is not a possibility. Any ideas ?

Thanks Tammy, for the recipee ideas, but I am eating them off the vine by the bucket load.

Marla, I am enjoying them whilst I can, all the time, ha ha.

• Mac
    Favorite Answer

Tomato Craving Tied To Iron Deficiency

NEW YORK, Jun 30 (Reuters Health) -- Iron-deficiency anemia has long been associated with pica, a phenomenon in which people crave unusual food and nonfood substances such as dirt and clay. Now, an Ohio-based physician has linked the deficiency with a craving for tomatoes.

"The take-home point is that it is not a bad idea to check the hemoglobin (an indicator of iron status) of patients who report any unusual cravings," Dr. Mark A. Marinella, a physician with Wright State University School of Medicine in Dayton, Ohio, told Reuters Health.

Marinella said tomatoes are not presently included in the list of foods that are associated with pica. Pica occurs in up to 60% of patients with iron-deficiency anemia, when it typically manifests as pagophagia -- a craving for ice. The physician dubs this new craving "tomatophagia."

While he could not explain the link between iron-deficiency anemia and tomatoes, he suggests that "there may be something about iron-deficiency anemia that does not relate to the iron deficiency that causes the craving."

In a letter published in the July 1st issue of The New England Journal of Medicine, Marinella describes a 66-year-old woman who consumed 6 to 10 whole tomatoes daily over a 2-month period. The patient also was taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for arthritis, drugs associated with risk of stomach ulcers. Tests showed that the woman had irritation of her stomach and esophagus that may have caused her to lose blood, leading to anemia.

The patient was taken off her painkillers, given a blood transfusion and prescribed iron supplements. After several weeks of taking iron, the patient's anemia resolved, and her craving for tomatoes disappeared -- "a result that is diagnostic of pica," he writes in the letter.

Marinella notes that previous reports of cravings for crunchy or salty foods have also been linked to iron-deficiency anemia. "Patients with food pica typically ingest large amounts of crunchy food such as celery, carrots, peanuts, seeds, crackers, and pretzels," he writes.

SOURCE: The New England Journal of Medicine 1999;341:60-61.

Tomato Craving

Craving Tomatoes

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Seriously for about a week I have been craving and eating lots of tomatoes. The strangest thing is that I have never liked them before, but now they are all I want to eat. I do not have food cravings normally. I would very much doubt that I am lacking vitamin C. Pregnancy is not a possibility. Any...

Source(s): craving tomatoes body need: https://shortly.im/tDk3e

I had my hemoglobin level taken some weeks back and it was just below 12 which is the norm for men. I can tell you every time my HB goes low I crave for tomatoes. These days I take the craving to be a warning that I am not eating enough green veggies. We have a family history of anemia, that's why.

You could ask a dietitian,or just enjoy the fact that you're getting your veggies.Are you eating other foods as well,or just living on tomatoes? If you're eating other foods as well,don't worry. It's just a food jag-a temporary craving for a certain food or combination of foods,and it will pass.If you're only eating tomatoes,and nothing else,you should try to eat something with it,such as beans and rice,for fiber and to counteract some of the acid content of the tomato.Tomatoes are excellent recipe starters-canned diced tomatoes mixed with chopped cooked chicken breast,some spices and green peppers and onions,they're great with brown rice and make a quick,easy lunch or dinner dish. Fresh tomatoes brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with spices and grilled are a great side dish with meat and other veggies.Enjoy!

craving tomatoes body

• marla

I don't think there's anything wrong I Crave tomato's all the time but I loved them all my Physicals have been normal all the time this started 2 years ago and I still crave them but again I have always like them. so don't worry enjoy them while you can,

Source(s): STD,Womens Health,Pregnancy
  • Mary

Tomatos are excellent food!! they are loaded with vit C and a lot of other good things. They sub as fruit in my food plan. low carb, very low sugar, high fiber and they are usually red!!! for color on my plate!! I love stewed tomatoes too!! In fact my favorite treat since I was a little girl is a can of tomatoes chilled and just eat them!!

Thanks for asking this question...I have been eating a pound or more a day for almost a year. I love tomatoes but having ever care for the canned ones..now I am eating those