Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Formula feeding mommies?

Curious question, but do you have or did you have any issues with your baby only taken ONE kind of nipple or having "nipple confusion" switching to a different kind of bottle? Did you have to try out various bottles to find one your baby would take?

This question is more to moms who formula fed from BIRTH not ones who switched from breast feeding to bottle.

I know as a breast feeding mom, some of us have had to deal with that issue, just wondering if you had to?

• Favorite Answer

My daughter has only ever had formula out of a bottle. She had breast milk but it was always through a feeding tube:(

At first we did, we had the nipples and bottles from the NICU, and that was all she would take. Even if I found the same type at walmart, or close of course, she wouldn't take them. I used those poor nipples much longer than I should have! Finally after months of the same ones, and one mad baby she took to a NUK nipple. Which was great because the other ones were getting so bad! She is 11 months old now, and I haven't changed them since! I figure she's got these figured out and they are still doing good!

Good question!

• dmg

We got into the habit, as most people do, of using a particular brand of nipples/bottles. But that was more so that all the various pieces fit the other pieces. We had some random other bottles around and my sister once used one to feed the baby and it was fine. But the choice we ended up with was mostly about reducing gas.

In the very beginning we sometimes bought pre-mixed small bottles of formula, with disposable screw-on nipples. Those nipples are VERY fast and I came to hate them. It felt like putting a garden hose spewing formula into the baby's mouth.

Now that I'm trying to wean him off the bottle and he's on whole milk, I'm actually looking for a new bottle for him that doesn't use the "drop ins." And yeah, I'd like it to be as similar as possible to his former ones, though I suspect at this point it wouldn't matter as much.

The hospital I gave birth at didn't push formula I could have said no but I knew that to be sent home she needed to have a bowel movement. A couple hours after she ate the formula she had a bowel movement and she was discharged from the hospital. Other than that she has been breastfed since birth. I am on WIC and they do not push one nor the another, they are only concerned about the babies nutritional needs and if they are being met. One reason why WIC asks is because they need to know if you need vouchers for formula or if you are breast feeding you get extra tuna and carrots.

We didn't have problems with bottles, we had problems with nipples. I consider myself highly educated. I have a college degree, and excellent job, read all the baby books I could, but I may be completely stupid because I didn't realize the holes in the nipples were different on the 3 sets of nipples I got. My little girl only likes the Playtex "SLOW" drip clear nipple. She is not fond of medium, and gags on fast. Oh well, I finally figured it out :) Those playtex drop in's are a God-sent! I can heat up a bottle from the fridge in under 1 minute. Good luck!

I am breastfeeding my daughter but my son was formula fed and I did have that problem. He would only take one nipple I tried several different bottles and nipples, I really wanted him to take the drop ins because he has so much gas and he didn't know how to use it. He would just get frustrated so i gave up.

When I bottle fed my oldest kids yes there was nipple confusion or just nipple rejection they would not take certain types of nipples so had to experiment with different kinds of nipples to find the one they each liked.

I think the confusion comes when a baby goes from breast to bottle. Bottle feeding is easier and so would be preferred. I doubt there's much of a difference in how the baby is to suck on one bottle or another.

I have never had nipple confusion in any of my children. I have breast fed and formula fed and this goes for all of them. Perhaps my situation is unusual, but it has never been a problem for me. Now when it came to trying out sippy cups for the first time, it took awhile to find one my children would take.

Source(s): Formula fed my first child because doctors said I had to because of jaundice (I now know what a load of bs that was), breastfed then switched to formula with my second, and now on formula after 6 months of breastfeeding my third.

My son did prefer a certain type of bottle nipple, Avent. The Playtex kind were very narrow and awkward for him.

My son was on Dr. Brown bottles right when he came home from the hospital. There was absolutely no nipple confusion for him. They have stage one, twos and three's and they go by the babys age. I absolutely swear by them. My neice was on the playtex bottles and she developed colic. Her mother started using the Dr. Brown bottles and they helped so much with their vent system.