promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What are some good books?

I LOVE to read, but I have already read all of the books that I had wanted to read. What are some good books out there right now? I am not that into mystery or historical fiction. I am more into romances and, (sadly), teen drama crap.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

http://www.shelfari.com/books/subjects/Y…

gives good descriptions of all the top young adult/teen books and you can create yourself a profile and keep record of all the books you've read, want to read and own...

Gone by Michael Grant

Flush by Carl Hiaasen

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Schooled by Gordon Korman

Gossamer by Lois Lowery

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

(movie stars Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd)

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Cut by Patricia McCormick

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff

Paper Towns by John Green

The Ladykiller by Martina Cole

Two Women by Martina Cole

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Madapple by Christina Meldrum

What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell

Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor

The Missing Girl by Norma Fox Mazer

Shift by Jennifer Bradbury

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Peeled by Joan Bauer and also the book Squashed

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron

The Juvie Three by Gordon Korman

Looks by Madeleine George

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Black Box by Julie Schumacher

Beastly by Alex Finn

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Raven by Allison van Diepen

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

Wake by Lisa McMann (Book 2 is Fade)

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black

Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, Book 1) by Karen Chance

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 1) by Jeaniene Frost

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine

Dead Until Dark (Southern Vampire Mysteries, No. 1) by Charlaine Harris

THE book series that inspired the TRUE BLOOD show on HBO starring Anna Paquin!

Candy: A Novel of Love and Addiction (also has a movie called Candy starring Heath Ledger and Abbie Cornish....very dramatic and good) by Luke Davies

http://www.amazon.com/Candy-Novel-Addict…

Like Trainspotting, Candy depicts heroin addicts in a British subculture, but it is set in Australia, not Scotland. "Candy" is the slang name of the unnamed narrator's two great loves: his girlfriend and heroin. He introduces her to the drug, and they descend from being high on life, love, and drugs, to being shamed through prostitution, crime, addiction, and recovery. With no character background, the book reads as a string of scams to score money and heroin: some hilarious, some desperate, and some both at once. One scam starts when they answer a ringing public phone that the caller mistakenly believes is a suicide prevention line. Candy and the narrator are ruthless but human; their likableness and the immediacy of their dramas make them sympathetic even when pathetic. The writing is lean and strong but offers no resolution. Although that reflects junkies' reality, sometimes the pacing is jarring as the characters take action long after the audience is ready. Still, the good writing, realistic portrayal, and affable characters plunge readers into the junkies' world, safely returning them with veins intact.

The Torn Skirt: A Novel (P.S.) by Rebecca Godfrey

Beauty Queen by Linda Glovach

Leaving Dirty Jersey: A Crystal Meth Memoir by James Salant

Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines by Nic Sheff

Suicide Blonde by Darcey Steinke

Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction by David Sheff

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Boy-Fath…

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

http://www.amazon.com/Million-Little-Pie…

It Happened to Nancy: By an Anonymous Teena... by Anonymous Teenager

The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shatter... by Nikki Sixx

Her Last Death: A Memoir by Susanna Sonnenberg

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman

http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Drugs-Cocoa-Pu…

Requiem for a Dream: A Novel by Hubert Selby Jr.

Tweaked: A Crystal Meth Memoir by Patrick Moore

Party Monster: A Fabulous But True Tale of Murder in Clubland by James St. James

The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin

Bright Shiny Morning (P.S.) by James Frey

Street Pharm by Allison van Diepen

Bongwater by Michael Hornburg

Motley Crue: The Dirt - Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band by Tommy Lee

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis

Heroin by Humberto Fernandez

Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood by Koren Zailckas

http://www.amazon.com/Smashed-Drunken-Gi…

One-Way Ticket: Our Son's Addiction to Heroin by Rita Lowenthal

The Basketball Diaries by Jim Carroll

http://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Diaries…

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream by Hunter S. Thompson

Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Memoir-Auguste…

Little Girl Lost by Drew Barrymore is a really good story about teen drug abuse and what's really interesting is that it's about Drew's life growing up.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Girl-Lost-D…

Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding my True Voice by Maureen Mccormick (the story of Marcia Brady from The Brady Bunch and how she become an addict as a teen)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Historical Fiction: Both Sides of Time series- Caroline B. Cooney (also romance) Bloody Jack series-L. A. Meyer (also adventure) If I Should Die Before I Wake- Han Nolan The Great and Terrible Beauty series- Libba Bray (also fantasyish fiction) The Other Boleyn Girl- Philippa Gregory The Queen’s Fool- Philippa Gregory The Constant Princess- Philippa Gregory The Bolelyn Inheritance- Philippa Gregory The Book Thief- Markus Zusak Fantasyish Fiction Twilight series- Stephenie Meyer (also romance) The Mediator series- Meg Cabot (also romance) Avalon High- Meg Cabot (sorta) Uglies series-Scott Westerfeld Midnighters series- Scott Westerfeld Fiction: All American Girl- Meg Cabot Airhead- Meg Cabot The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things - Carolyn Mackler Fly on the Wall- E. Lockhart Megan Meade’s Guide to the McGowan Boys- Kate Brian Lucky T- Kate Brian The Five People You Meet in Heaven- Mitch Albom My Sister’s Keeper- Jodi Picoult Change of Heart- Jodi Picoult The Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown Romance: The Angels Trilogy- Lurlene Mcdaniel The Pact- Jodi Picoult The Notebook- Nicholas Sparks Mystery: Stranger With My Face- Lois Duncan Down A Dark Hall- Lois Duncan Locked in Time-Lois Duncan Any book by R.L Stine Non- Fiction A Child Called It- Dave Pelzer Who Killed My Daughter- Louis Duncan Diary of a Young Girl- Anne Frank

• 1 decade ago

I would read the Gemma Doyle Trilogy, which starts out with A Great and Terrible Beauty. These books take place at the end of the 1800's and they are amazing in my opinion.

A Great and Terrible Beauty:

Gemma Doyle, sixteen and proud, must leave the warmth of her childhood home in India for the rigid Spence Academy, a cold finishing school outside of London, followed by a stranger who bears puzzling warnings. Using her sharp tongue and agile mind, she navigates the stormy seas of friendship with high-born daughters and her roommate, a plain scholarship case. As Gemma discovers that her mother's death may have an otherworldly cause, and that she herself may have innate powers, Gemma is forced to face her own frightening, yet exciting destiny . . . if only she can believe in it.

I would also highly recommend the Wicked Lovely series as well. This is a story about fairies in a modern setting.

The Description:

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

• 1 decade ago

If you like romances, I would recommend looking into these authors: Linda Howard, Catherine Anderson, Sharon Sala, Susan Andersen, Julie Kenner, Emily Carmichael, Maggie Syane, Robin D. Owens, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Christine Feehan, and Catherine Spangler. Just to name a few. :D

Source(s): I have read some of their books more than once.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Im telling you Lisa Jackson is the BEST try whipers or se how she dies only thing is shes romantic suspense but shes goooood

Also have you Read any books by Nora Roberts? Shes a wonderful romance writer too.

• 4 years ago

Go to Amazon.com and search:

"Lost from Atlantis Book 1"

"Death by Murder David Lindsay" - you have to search that way or the title doesn't come up. There's a lot of sex and violence in that one but it's not gratuitous. It doesn't get more dramatic than this.

and "Super Spaghetti."

They're all by David A. Lindsay.

They're free if you have Kindle Unlimited, and you can get a free trial of that - Google how.

If you don't have a Kindle you can get a free smartphone app from Google Play, or read it online - all free.

• Bear:)
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Gossip Girl

It Girl

Chain of Hearts

On the Jellicoe Road

The Pact

Rose, by Any Other Name

• 1 decade ago

The mortal instruments series

wicked lovely series

go ask alice

blue bloods series

house of night series

the host

the luxe series

a great and terrible beauty series

13 reasons why

the burn journals

uglies series

sookie stackhouse series based off the tv show true bloods

everlost

unwind

cell

tithe series

• 1 decade ago

Catch Me if You Can; good movie, excellent book.

Easy read, relatively short. It has a special super glue that binds to your hands and makes you unable to put the book down until you finish. May cause sleep deprivation and unsatisfactory job performance.

• 1 decade ago

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. I just read it and it was sooo good! this is what it is about:

Six years after Cassie and Lia resolved to become the skinniest girls in their school, Cassie dies. Unable to bear the sadness and guilt following Cassie's death, Lia spirals deeper into her own eating disorder. Elijah, the last person to see Cassie alive, helps Lia find the strength to face her own demons and enter recovery.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

*Even Now by Karen Kingsbury (really romantic and the whole book has you guessing)

*Forever by Just Blume

*Freedoms Price by Suzanne Brockmann (a reallly good one with alot of romance)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.