Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificOther - Asia Pacific · 1 decade ago

where or what is indonesia?

is indonesia a country or a state in a country im confused

Favorite Answer

Indonesia is a country consisting of a large archipelago in Southeast Asia between the Asian mailand and Australia. It is one of the largest countries in the world in geographically as well as in terms of population. It is also the most populated predominantly Muslim country on Earth, with about 90% of its 200+ million people being Muslims. It is also very accepting and friendly towards Westerners. At least it was in the part (on Sumatra) where I went last month. They seem especially fond of Americans because Obama's half-sister and step-father are/were Indonesian. At least the one's that I met during my few days there excitedly brought this to my attention every time it came up that I was American.

Indonesia was a Dutch colony until shortly after World War II. A few of its islands were also once Portuguese colonies. It is the native home of orang-utans and large amounts of tropical rainforest. Indonesia has over 17,000 islands.

Prior to WW2 Indonesia was the Dutch East Indies. It could be that during this time the name "Indonesia" was more of a region. I don't really know all the history to it, but before Indonesia and neighboring Malaysia were colonized (by the Dutch and British respectively) they had both spoken the same language, which today is split into two distinctive languages: Bahasa Indonesia, and Bahasa Malaya. "Bahasa" means language.

Source(s): I took a year of Indonesian language in college during which time I also learned about some other aspects of Indonesia as well. I also took a history class about Indonesia, and visited Indonesia and Malaysia for a few days each.

Indonesia is a country in South East Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia

• hanz

ndonesia is a country in Southeast Asia and Oceania. Indonesia comprises 17,508 islands, and with an estimated population of around 237 million people, it is the world's fourth most populous country,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia

http://www.abcindonesia.com/

Great scuba diving Indonesia is one fo the best places in the world Asia for diving.

Google it up, girl.

It's a country, & no it doesn't have any states at all eventhough it has 17thousand islands and 200million population.

Source(s): Been living in Jakarta for years.

Its a country, look in the map, its near Australia and its actually a big country