?
? asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Hey R&P. How's everyone today?

How are you guys and gals? I feel like I haven't asked a Q in a while.

Anyway, I've asked this before but it was when I first made a Y!A account so I thought I'd ask it again since... you guys know me better and whatnot. : )

Do any of you have or know about sight-sound synesthesia? When I tell my friends about it, they look at me like I'm crazy. Basically what it means is different sounds cause me to see different colors and shapes in my mind. It's especially clear in music.

Different chords and notes are different colors and the instrument sounds produce the shapes. Similar sounding songs "look" similar as well. That's why I can never fall asleep to music because there's always this cascade of colors and shapes going on around me when I listen to it. I also have other forms of synesthesia but since this is a music Q, I won't get into that. : )

Some people have it, without even knowing it. Sound familiar to anyone?

MQ: Do you have the same favorite band as any of your friends?

Best Answer

Yeah, I have something like that. And I know what you mean.

Certain songs remind me of people for reason, and every song has its own unique color, and usually same with a band. It's actually really cool (:

Songs also remind me of the amount of sunlight streaming onto Earth at different times during the day, and things like that.

MQ: Hah! Not even close.

Hey! Goo! I am alrighty

thanks

Wow..I know about it!

My friend mentioned it to me once.

http://www.google.com/books?id=2bU5HAAACAAJ&lr=&rv... sounds Exactly what the girl in this story has as well. GREAT book by the way. If you haven't read it already I think you will REALLY like it...

Wow..i never new anybody who actually had synesthesia..I was quite fascinated when I read about it..but anyway

MQ: Yes. i usually find that this question would be answered yes because people with similar interest usually become friends you know/?

Some of my fave bands

Green Day

Beatles

Queen <3

Have a marvelous day dear!

Hope your doing magnificent!

Source(s): My gushy Brain reading

Hi Goo,

I'm doing well today. How are you?

This is the first time I've heard about sight-sound synesthesia. I think I might sort of have it. It sounds really interesting. I don't think it's crazy. I think it's kind of really cool, actually.

It sounds familiar to me. But not as extreme as you. Still awesome.

MA: My favourite band changes sort of often. Me and my friends Dyl and Vin used all love Pink Floyd. Also went through Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Queen, Nirvana, and Led Zeppelin stages. lol

Source(s): Jess =]

I've heard of it (because it was this kid's senior exit project for school) but I don't have it. I have certain colors that I associate with certain songs and albums and artists but not a color per note or anything extreme like that.

Most of my friends either change their favorite band monthly or listen to oldies so not so much. Although I know some of my favorite bands because of my friends and obsess over/attend the same concerts as them sometimes.

And I'm doing alright today. Cept I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone service hehe.

Hi Goo

I am fine, its the morning here...

I have heard about sight-sound synesthesia...

I dont experience it, but I think a friend might, i will ask her about it...

I dont think its that weird

I think a few of my contacts have Alice in Chains as a favorite band -although, I dont have one set favorite band.. another contact likes Pink Floyd.. another contact likes Nirvana.. another likes Black Sabbath.. im not sure if any of there are favorites..

I do like Sonic Youth.. m

No, I don't have it. I may associate colors (or more often, like Beatles Maniac, the angle/amount of the sun) with songs, but the association isn't as direct, vivid, or easy to come by as it seems for you. I have heard of it, though, and it doesn't sound strange to me... rather, it makes perfect sense.

MQ: Just a good friend from R&P

• Red

Yeah I've heard about it before and it sounds cool. I don't really have it but I always associate different colours with different songs.

MQ: None of my friends have the same favourite band as me but there are some bands that we have in common.

YES. Everyone is always saying how they fall asleep listening to music, but I can't because I have all these weird visions inside my head, it's as if I was hearing with my eyes and seeing with my ears you know? It's weird, I can't explain, but I know what you are talking about.

MA: Yes, I have precisely one friend who has similar (and decent) taste in music. All the others like Fall Out Boy and Lil Wayne. *shudder*

Im good! how are you?

I dont think i have that, but it seems like it would be cool! But when i fall asleep to music i do see different colors and wierd images lol. But not when im awake.

MQ: nope. But i have got *some* of them to like some of the bands i do. And lately one of my friends has been listening to RHCP so thats always good=) but sadly they all like either rap, screamo, pop, or emo. <-lol that was wierd.

Yeah and I have telekinesis and I can bend forks and spoons just by a thought and I can juggle knives just by thought I am even more talented than the movie character Carrie. I AM KIDDING!!!

Joke!

I am fine thanks for asking how are you? :D

I have heard about this phenomenon but it didn't peek my interest enough to look into it enough but it sounds cool. I do not have Synesthesia myself but it sounds like a cool name for a song though. Anyway, thanks for telling me and I just may look more into it now it sounds more interesting to me this time.