April
April asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Is it true that Americans hang up on the phone without saying goodbye?

Best Answer

You don't have to be American to do that. I do it all the time with unwanted calls click.

I suppose some Americans do hang up on the phone without saying goodbye. I don't. It happens a lot in business from what I've noticed or maybe it's just where I work. It's not polite. How do you know when the call is over? I don't say goodbye. I just say bye - talk to you later - something like that. It's been nice talking to you, etc.

No, I am American and I never hang up without saying goodbye. I feel like it is rude to not say goodbye. There is no closure to the conversation until you say goodbye in my opinion. I am bothered by it when people do hang up w/o saying goodbye and will often call back and say "were you done talking"??

Not true. I've been knowing a few Americans for awhile They say goodbye on the phone when I have talked to them. Your source is incorrect mate.

• Bumble

It's a matter of phone ettiquette...

{and yes that applies to everyone}

The person who calls first is always the

one to say goodbye first...

It is common courtesy to never hang- up

on a call unless it is an emergency

or an unwanted call

{although that could mean a number of things}

Phone ettiquette is something

that not many people are aware of and hardly use --

and that especially pertains to cell phones

and blue tooth headsets {you know who you are }

No, not really.

Other nationalities hang up on the phone without saying goodbye. But it really depends on your mood.

In American movies and television, it's very rare to hear someone say goodbye when they hang up the phone, and I'm not sure why that is. i always say goodbye, but I don't think i could speak for everyone

Well if they do it is rude. I say goodbye or something like it, like see ya later. I think most people say goodbye before they hang up.

• Daisy

I say goodbye before I hang up as do my family and friends. I know of no one who simply hangs up without saying goodbye, bye or bye-bye.

No way! we always say goodbye in some shape or form before we hang up, unless you are a real meanie and are not nice AT ALL.

I say goodbye usually before I hang up, unless I'm really pissed off.