April
Lv 5
April asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Is it true that Americans hang up on the phone without saying goodbye?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You don't have to be American to do that. I do it all the time with unwanted calls click.

• 1 decade ago

I suppose some Americans do hang up on the phone without saying goodbye. I don't. It happens a lot in business from what I've noticed or maybe it's just where I work. It's not polite. How do you know when the call is over? I don't say goodbye. I just say bye - talk to you later - something like that. It's been nice talking to you, etc.

• 1 decade ago

No, I am American and I never hang up without saying goodbye. I feel like it is rude to not say goodbye. There is no closure to the conversation until you say goodbye in my opinion. I am bothered by it when people do hang up w/o saying goodbye and will often call back and say "were you done talking"??

• 1 decade ago

Not true. I've been knowing a few Americans for awhile They say goodbye on the phone when I have talked to them. Your source is incorrect mate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bumble
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's a matter of phone ettiquette...

{and yes that applies to everyone}

The person who calls first is always the

one to say goodbye first...

It is common courtesy to never hang- up

on a call unless it is an emergency

or an unwanted call

{although that could mean a number of things}

Phone ettiquette is something

that not many people are aware of and hardly use --

and that especially pertains to cell phones

and blue tooth headsets {you know who you are }

• 1 decade ago

No, not really.

Other nationalities hang up on the phone without saying goodbye. But it really depends on your mood.

• 1 decade ago

In American movies and television, it's very rare to hear someone say goodbye when they hang up the phone, and I'm not sure why that is. i always say goodbye, but I don't think i could speak for everyone

• 1 decade ago

Well if they do it is rude. I say goodbye or something like it, like see ya later. I think most people say goodbye before they hang up.

• Daisy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I say goodbye before I hang up as do my family and friends. I know of no one who simply hangs up without saying goodbye, bye or bye-bye.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No way! we always say goodbye in some shape or form before we hang up, unless you are a real meanie and are not nice AT ALL.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I say goodbye usually before I hang up, unless I'm really pissed off.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.